Thursday, July 03, 2008

Today is the last ordinary day.

I don't watch much Television because most television tends to really, really suck.

Between god awful shows like CSI (Miami especially), friends re-runs and whatever reality show of the week people are currently jerking off over... it's hard to sort out good from bad. Or, really, it's just hard to give a fuck.

However, once in a while something catches my eye. Through a little blind faith and tiny bit of knowledge I purchased a show called "Jericho" on DVD a few weeks ago.




Basically it's about a small town that gets cut off after a nuclear attack in Colorado. It becomes about the people in the town of Jericho and what it takes to survive and how they slowly find out what has happened to the world.

And so you learn as you go, about characters and about what has happened to the world. And who is hiding what.

The first few episodes, while entertaining, didn't exactly make me think it was anything special, but it picks up fairly quickly and becomes something really special and by about the sixth episode I was hooked.

I have a boner for post apocalyptic stuff (Mad Max, Fallout and so on...) so that's the reason i first started watching, but the scope of the show becomes so broad that it really does make you think.

The second season particularly, about a new America and corrupt government built through the funding of corporations and the fears of people is awesome.

I've read about how the fans saved the show after it was canceled following the first season finale and I think it's incredible how they did it by sending peanuts to CBS in a form of protest (relates to the show but I am far too lazy to explain it) the only problem is that it was renewed at a shitty time and therefore only had a seven episode second season...which apparently had terrible ratings and buried the show for good.

There are talks of a new season on a network that might actually promote it or even a movie, but I don't see it happening.

Not as long as people keep watching CSI and friends!

Maybe it's partly my fault for not watching earlier, this happens to every good show, I swear, but I just can't stand tuning in and watching TV on TV anymore for exactly the reasons above.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I watched the first episode or two and then stopped. I often discover great shows after they've already been canceled (arrested development) which always irritates me because just when I want more, there is NONE!

2:01 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Reminds me too much of that book we had to read in highschool with mr loomis, the mechanics teacher lifting garbage cans and then giving us a mark on how we lifted it.

6:32 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

man, I wish I could remember the title of that book. Now it's going to bug me all day (again).

Also it's not really anything like that.

6:15 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

wasnt it called tunnel in the sky?

10:11 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

UPDATE

8:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home