Thursday, June 05, 2008

New computer smell.

I got my new computer yesterday.


However, I didn't have much time before bed to mess around with it. So I've been at it all morning downloading/deleting/tweaking things. You know, the pain in the ass shit you have to do when you get a new computer.

Anyway, it's awesome.

Prior to ordering I did some actual research and found out that the most expensive options aren't always the smartest or best bet. I think I struck a nice balance between performance and cost.

I've got:

-Dual 512 MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT's for video cards.

-Intel Core 2 duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz for a processor. I found that quad cores weren't worth the price (an extra $900) considering the one I picked outperformed the others offered in most games/tasks according to what I read.

- 4 gigs of delicious RAM

among other things.

Yes, I got Windows Vista despite all the bitching from everyone ever.

It's early, but so far I have zero complaints. It's fast and slick looking is about all I can say at the moment. Just takes a bit of getting used to and exploring (which is fun)

I mainly got it because sooner or later (whether you want to admit it or not) we'll all be using it, and because I wanted some Directx 10 goodness.

I got Crysis the other day and it runs like melted butter while looking incredible, so I can't complain.

I'm tempted to re-install some of my other games I didn't finish to see how they perform. STALKER used to kick my old computer's ass, for instance.

I will install WoW eventually, I'm sure.

Anyway, it's nice and I have to hand it to Dell for the high quality packaging and shit for their XPS systems, it's fancy.

Now I just need a new monitor and some fancy speakers to compliment it. I'll save those for when I have money though.

Also I think this will be a computer I'll just actually upgrade the piss out of once it becomes obsolete, as opposed to getting a whole new one.

PS. I'm not kidding, new computer smell is glorious.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Oooooooooo I love new computers!

11:01 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I want to smell.

And touch.

2:35 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

Looks snazzy! I don't mind Vista, everytime anything on my computer happens Trevor blames it on Vista though.

11:30 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Good job on the computer it looks like a gaming beast. You should give it to me :)

Vista though, good that you got it, because eventually it will completely replace XP but i think its still to early, way to many bugs plus Its pretty anal with giving permission to every single thing you want to do. I might upgrade to but ill think i wait another year yet.

8:57 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

You get all the wrinkles ironed out yet?

The one thing i hate about buying a new PC uploading all your old stuff and getting it to where your old computer was. Then deleting all that pre installed shit that they think you need.

3:36 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

yeah it's running pretty smoothly now.

Today I also purchased a fancy UPS because I am sick of power outages and surges. It's bad out here.

So now I'm protected.

I hate windows update though. I wish it would stop harassing me. It's hard to download all that shit on dialup.

I copied all the WoW patches from my old computer though, so I've got that running.

3:46 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

SPEAKING OF UPS.

Guess what shipped!

6:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home