Monday, May 12, 2008

go speed racer gooooooooooooooo!

James and I watched Speed Racer today.

The day before (I think) I was sharing random quotes about the film from critics with her like:

"Imagine someone pouring hot, melted Starburst candies into your corneas, and you just begin to approximate the experience of Speed Racer, an ice-cream headache of a movieā€¦ "

And I told her that all it did was make me want to see it even more.

It's basically getting SLAMMED by every critic out there but I kept an open mind (with no expectations either way) and am glad I did.

I pretty much enjoyed the SHIT out of it.

perhaps it's because memories of my childhood love for the show (like SERIOUS love) came flying back to me, but I also think it's because the movie is so fucking INSANE and colourful and wonderfully fucked up.

It looks fake...and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to, but at the same time it looks real which is just so...bizzare that the movie is just seriously not for everyone. I say that a lot but I've never meant it more than this.

But as I also said to Stephanie it really makes me wonder what the fuck people expected from a movie about a cartoon from the 60's about a guy and his family who race cars with saw blades and shit attached to them...seriously.

You should expect:

- over the top racing
- weird humor
- cheesy moments

And the movie delivered on all of that so fuck you movie critics and movie going sheep who listen too hard to this shit.

I don't care if people dislike it, because I already said it's inevitable, but christ on a cracker don't expect something like Schindler's list out of a fucking cartoon movie.

PS. Trixie was fucking hot.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hehe I like that I was "her" for the first two thirds of this post. (Don't change it!)

"Christ on a cracker" haha, I always think that is so funny.

I want to see it! And Christina Ricci is always sexy.

I love super colourful movies.

10:24 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I don't know man. I've seen some of the previews. I don't know if this would be one of those movies for me.

I agree though. Fuck the reviewers.

Although... perhaps, maybe perhaps, I was indeed expecting Schindler's List. With racing cars. And Trixie. Maybe with a little Jesus on top.

10:47 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

See, I'm cool with people thinking it doesn't look that great and not wanting to see it.

I'm just not cool with people who take negative reviews and treat them as gospel and try and spread that word, without even seeing the movie.

It happens a lot.

Oh well, at least all the negativity has been entertaining to read.

8:29 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

meh it looks kinda of meh, but i agree people who wont see a movie because of what someone says are tools, make up your own mind for christ sake.

One a side note remember uwe boll hahah

4:57 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm just not cool with people who take negative reviews and treat them as gospel and try and spread that word, without even seeing the movie.

Yes. Irritating.

10:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home