Thursday, March 16, 2006

But they'll never take our.....FREEEEEEEEDOM!

So no iPods or any other personal music whatnots are allowed at work anymore.

Can you guess how happy this makes me? Hearing my music in my ears as opposed to the voices of the fucking douche bags I work with was pretty much the only thing keeping me sane.

Now I have to listen to the same 20 fucking songs over and over. Sure there's a stereo, but the people I work with seem to like playing the same burned CD's over and over and over and over, all of which share the same songs, it seems.

It's like they are all brain dead, I swear to Christ. I can deal with crappy music, I just can't deal with the same crappy crap repeated day after fucking day.

I don't know how much longer I can deal with it.

And I'm not joking. It bugs the fuck out of me.

Staying slightly on topic. I was thinking about how much I love music the other day.

Back in junior high I really didn't care for it. I mean, I liked it well enough, but I had no favourites or specific tastes. I didn't even own a CD.

Until the day I saw the video for "Everything is Automatic" by the Matthew Good Band. The very next day I purchased all the albums I could by those fellows, and the rest is history.

Matthew Good, in a lot of ways, is pretty much the reason I like music, as odd as that sounds, and so it's no wonder I hold him, and anything he's ever written in high regard.

Over the years my tastes expanded...And yet refined a whole lot. I like a lot of different sounding bands and music...It's just that I also know what I like and what I don't like, so I sometimes come off as a prick. But I don't care.

I feel strongly about the music I love as well as the music I hate.

It's not all that uncommon to hear people say that a certain band means a lot to them, or that perhaps they even saved their lives in some way.
Years ago I'd have rolled my eyes at such statements...But today, it's something I understand all too well.

And so every so often it hits me just how powerful and important a lot of it is to me.

It can evoke memories of the smallest most trivial things that you would probably have forgotten otherwise, or it can bring you back to a moment in which your life changed somehow... It can even fill your mind with places you've never been or things you've never experienced.

It can literally bring me to tears because of this.

I know not everyone listens and understands music in that way, there are those that simply tap their feet to whatever catchy beat they hear on the radio and think nothing of it, and we all do that...But so often it's so much more to me.

I think most of the people that actually read this blog might feel the same.

incredible stuff.

So it's easy to see just how much worse and hard to deal with my workplace just got.

8 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

That sucks man all I l can listen to at work is Country music god I despise that shit, the most un-innovative genre of music in existence.

Its weird how music effects a person, I know certain songs even bands can hit that right chord and me shed a tear or remind of something. Two prime examples of it. Pixies “where is my mind” and The Cure “Lullaby” Camping trip 04. Every time I hear those songs it brings up good memories.

Actually this is a really good blog topic I may steal it and head off in my own direction.

10:09 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Trevor, I share your opinion on country. Especially when they start with the bigot songs about how bad the city is, and how city folk are all a bunch of close-minded sardines.

I got their fucking sardines right here.

D, is it iPods they've banned? Or just headphone bearing equipment? Cause if it's just headphones, get an FM transmitter for your bad boy and hijack the radio at work to broadcast Dan radio 88.1.

That'd show those fuckers. Either that, or just quit. We'll get some advertisements going on Nintopia, and you can live off those. Or something like that.

Speaking of which, I'm almost done the review for Fire Emblem. Expect it to arrive - steaming like a meteor - in your inboxes soon.

11:55 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I like both kinds of music. The mindless foot tapping kind and the emotion evoking kind.

Most country annoys the shit out of me.

Why the hell did they ban the use of iPods/personal music players? So stupid. And I bet for no real reason at all. You should keep bringing yours and listening to it. See if they fire you.

I'm serious.

2:13 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Raine: It's just things with headphones, I've thought about using the FM tuner, but I have this thing about not forcing people to listen to what I listen to...I just don't like to do it, and I know for a fact 85% of my music collection wouldn't go over well with the people there...so I don't bother.

And Stephanie, I've thought about doing that. I want to, because even I get fired or sent home or whatever, I really wouldn't give a fuck.

But I dunno.

6:36 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I kind of have a sense that at the most you'd just get sent home. But that really..you might be able to get away with it. If you're one of the better employees I don't think they'd fire you. If you use the earbuds, you could just have one in..I know it feels weird, but maybe you'd adapt? I dunno...it's just stupid bullshit and though I know it's not ME working the job, it makes me hate bonafide companies even more. They're all ALWAYS so goddamned fucking stupid.

Never working for anyone else again if I can avoid it.

11:01 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

D, you think they'd make a ruckus with you if you wore your headphones?

I mean, how do they go about enforcing their rules? You could stage a strike or something.

6:33 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Corporate fucks!

I like raine’s Idea of the whole advertising thing. We can sell right out, ads for feminine hygiene products right up to hello kitty. English, German, Russian who cares if someone makes it, we will advertise it. Just so long as they pay and pay good. Millionaires in a month yep tis the life.

6:41 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I don't think they'd do much, to be honest.

Me and some of the other guys have been talking to our supervisor though, and hopefully within the week I'll be back to rockin out in my own little world.

See, it's the new store manager who is the cunt here, the supervisors really don't mind it.

2:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home