Thursday, January 19, 2006

Nobody cares. But more movies.

The other night I bought some more DVD's.

Lord of war is awesome. It's about a gun runner who sells guns and weapons of all sorts to other countries. He'll sell guns to small armies, big armies, even his own enemies for a profit.

It raises a lot of interesting questions and thoughts including the fact that the US government is the number one arms dealer in the world. Funny, isn't it?

I also got Primer. A film which I've heard a lot about, but never picked up for some reason.

I know Trevor told me he didn't like it much, but I absolutely loved it. It is about these two guys who build a machine in a garage during their spare time. They eventually find out that it has the ability to distort time.

So they experiment with it, and build a bigger and better one and start sending themselves back in time and so on.

Now, it's not really a super sci fi type time travel, they don't go to the distant future or the past or anything, which is why it's real cool. It feels so real.

I'll be honest, any film even remotely involving time travel is pretty much a must see for me, but this film is great on so many other levels.

It hurt my brain completely though. Honestly it is probably the most confusing film I have ever seen. As the two guys experiment, we find them avoiding their "doubles" and so on so as not to change time in anyway, but they keep doing this, and using the machine, and so all of these events pile on top of one another until you really don't know what's going on.

It's amazing, and it takes some concentration to stay with it, but even I was lost near the end. Some people might (and do) hate it for this, but for me, all it does it make me want to watch it again and again, to find out every detail and why all these things happened.

Oh, and apparently it was made for only $7000. Which is AMAZING. Not because it is full of fancy special effects (there are none to be seen) but just because movies in general are fucking expensive to produce. That, and it looks very professional, with a distinct kind of "gritty" look to it, great camera work, too. Stuff like that really interests me.

so I sound like a dork, but honestly it's the most original and refreshing movie I've seen in a long while. I'll just have to watch it six more times before I can even attempt to describe it better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I care! I really do enjoy reading your reviews.

Primer sounds awesome.

Some people might (and do) hate it for this, but for me, all it does it make me want to watch it again and again, to find out every detail and why all these things happened.

And I'm definitely right there with you on that.

Lord of War also sounds interesting. And it IS ironic that the US is the number one arms dealer. I heard about that awhile back and couldn't help but laugh a little.

OKAY. You bought THREE! So what's the third??

11:11 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Thats what turned me off Primer. Confusing as hell, and weird. Weird in a good way but i couldnt keep up with the story and just stopped watching it, maybe if i watched it in its entirety it might be better, but i just got tired of being confused and aborted.

9:50 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I'd love to see a Time Travel movie that would do a mirror-mirror paradox, where a double meets the original, and thus, spawns bazillions of double doubles, who visit the double double double doubles, and suddenly the universe crashes, because it can't support the chaos probability of it all and... I've lost you all, haven't I?

We could make a movie. We could even make our own soundtrack. But who would write the script?

11:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home