Monday, January 09, 2006

"dudes, we're totally gonna get some pussy!" "fuck yeah, bro!"... IDIOTS!

Gonna try and keep this short because I'm fucking tired.

Me and the boys saw Hostel Tonight. My three word review would be "average at best".

It had some decent gore (I can't help but love it) as well as some decent suspense and is just generally twisted, but there were huge flaws.

The first half of the movie consists of these three horny, moronic drug using douche bags going around and trying to get laid. It's fucking stupid. It's not plot development, it's just a waste of my goddamn time, and throw some more naked girls in there maybe that'll make me like it more...Give me a break. It was like a horrible teen comedy or something. God awful.

And the bigger flaw: Seeing how stupid these guys were made me not like them, obviously. So later on when one of them is getting holes drilled through his skin while chained to a chair I didn't really give a shit.

Make a movie like this, and give me characters I can like and feel sorry for, that would have worked so much better.

Instead you get some twisted torture scenes (which are well done, I admit) but it's just empty violence for the sake of it. And I usually wouldn't mind. Exploitation horror films aren't really anything new and I enjoy the sick twisted shit people can come up with...But this movie just didn't do all too much for me aside from making the odd "jesus" escape my mouth in shock.

I don't know. Brilliant, twisted idea that could have been so much more, as far as I'm concerned.

3 Comments:

Blogger D. said...

Yeah. shit. I thought you were just joking, but I could tell something was bothering you. you were all fidgety (or however you spell it)

That's awesome.

It's just all the shit that gets into your head starts to creep you out. I had a moment like that the very first violent scene, but it passed quickly and I just sort of enjoyed it from there.

11:30 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Seeing how stupid these guys were made me not like them, obviously. So later on when one of them is getting holes drilled through his skin while chained to a chair I didn't really give a shit.

hahahahahaha!

...oooh man. Dying. Whew.

10:40 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

pffft average is a compliment. Especially after you guys got me freaked out with all the people presumably dyeing from intense gore and freight.

The gore was meh, the concept was meh, and the plot was meh. The gore wasn’t even that intense I was ten times more squeamish during my first run through of Evil Dead than Hostel.

Haha I remember Ryan being “fidgety” during parts, but maybe that’s a good thing, I don’t think we as humans are supposed to be able to sit there watching a guy getting sawed apart by a chainsaw and not think anything of it.

5:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home