Monday, June 27, 2005

God bless you, George A. Romero

Earlier today I was in a "fuck everybody" type of mood (been getting those a lot lately) and so I went for a drive.

I ended up seeing Land of the Dead by myself, and I realized that:

A. I enjoy seeing movies by myself, and...
B. I fucking love zombie movies.

The grandfather of zombie films, Mr. George Romero, is back and he is still the king. He's the only guy that goes all out and doesn't tone anything down, and I respect the the hell out of him for that. I can't even begin to count the number of exit wounds/chunks of brain/raw flesh being eaten that I saw today.

Of course, a good film has more than just blood and gore, but in a movie about zombies it's required, you see.

Just like in Dawn of the dead (the original) and Day of the dead, it's easy to see the messages Romero throws at us, and just how he views society and humanity, and even in a world he invents, it is all to similar to our world right now.

I remember in the early 90's nobody wanted to give him money to make his films, now I just hope he can get back to doing what he does best...and stay at the top.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I was talking to mom yesterday all about your love for zombie movies. Hehe...all she said was, "I can't watch that stuff anymore! The shower scene in the original Psycho did me in! I could't shower without being afraid for months!" To which I replied, "The Grudge, PERIOD, did me in!"

I will have you know that I almost watched the trailer to Land of the Dead yesterday afternoon.

But then.

It didn't work.



I've grown to love watching movies by myself. In my bedroom, at least.


Hmm...the early 90's...

It all seems to come back to then.

5:56 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I "wasn't old enough," to see Zombie movies when they were in their prime. I finally watched the classics about three years ago, and by then, they had lost much of their magic ("innovative" movie techniques were dead and buries, no pun intended).

I hate age restrictions on stuff like that. It must be logical to allow screechy packs of teenage girls who are likely of age into movies, while disallowing a young guy who could tell you exactly what giblets are being eaten, and what kind of nourishment said Zombie can possibly gain from the gore.

I'm not afraid of the undead. They might be terror and evil undying, but there will always be one thing that is more terrifying than them.

Me with nothing to lose.

8:04 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I hear ya buddy, I saw it on release date as a early grad present from my sister, and am still in awe at the sheer brutality of it. I enjoyed it way more than the remake of dawn for one simple reason, how the zombies acted, slow brain dead, and deadly in numbers. That my friend is a Romero trademark and what makes zombie movies good for me, plus lots of gore.

10:18 p.m.  
Blogger Moody said...

Finally someone who likes zombies as much as I do!

11:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home