Sunday, November 08, 2009

Podcasts.

Alright.

For the longest time I didn't really understand podcasts or give a shit about them, but when I got my Zune it came with a few samples and one that I actually really enjoyed was "This American Life" from Chicago Public Radio, hosted by Ira Glass.

So I subscribed and proceeded to get the new episode each week, but never really listened to them...until a few months ago when out of boredom I put them on while at work and became pretty much addicted.

I think I listened them all within three nights of work.

Basically it's stories about a kind of random subject from different contributors. The last episodes was about infidelity and had stories from people who cheat/have been cheated on and so on.

Another episode I really enjoyed was called "rest stop" where the guys who make the show basically spent a few days at a busy rest stop in the summer and interviewed random people passing through, the people who work there and so on.

Now, this all either sounds immensely boring to you, or it doesn't.

But here's the strange thing, and why I am even writing this...even the most boring of subjects (and ones I thought I didn't give a shit about) turn to fuckin' gold on this show. I look forward to every damn episode so much that it has become the best part of my Sunday/Monday.

They have also done a few episodes with some NPR people and more or less completely broke down how and why the economy is so completely shit right now.

And one about healthcare, explaining how the system is absolutely broken/why costs are skyrocketing.

It opened my eyes to a lot of issues.

For instance, I find it absurd that American health care has no fixed rates and that it's possible to literally shop around for a "good deal" on an MRI. That kind of floored me.

Or that on average, Americans pay 50% more for health care services than any other country, and that the increase in cost doesn't even buy them better service.

So while I'm not American, both the subjects and the entire show were fascinating to me. They also make me glad I don't live there.

Which got me to also subscribe to NPR's Planet Money podcast which is basically a show three days a week about economic issues (again, healthcare, recession, banks, toxic loans) but also goes a bit more broad with shows about things like how China is set to be the next super power and nobody realizes it.

It's all explained simply and realistically by people who don't come off ass jackasses or driven by whatever political agenda.

And again, is something I never really thought I'd find entertaining, but I do, very much.

Really the whole point of this was supposed to be me asking if anyone else knows of any podcasts worth listening to on a regular basis. About any subjects, really.

I suspect the answer (or rather the lack of answers) will be "no", but who knows.

8 Comments:

Blogger ryan said...

only ones i can think of (if you are into those kind of subjects) are Alan Cross- that history of modern rock show, and Coast to Coast am.

i like'em.

5:41 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Podcasts have always intrigued me a little bit, but the immense variety out there overwhelms me and I just don't know where to begin.

This American Life sounds WAY interesting, actually! But I love that kind of thing.

Man, I'm sure you read my Facebook status about the health care bill that made it through the House and is now on to the Senate. Thankfully changes can be made, and even if it went through amendments can also be made. But as it sits, in its current state, it will not solve the problem.

I do NOT like the idea of being FORCED to purchase health insurance or be penalized by paying higher taxes..because the meager $22,000 (before taxes) I make a year is considered WELL above the poverty line. You know, despite the fact that I am the primary source of income for four individuals (whom the government refuses to accept as dependents because they are not disabled)... It's just all so very fucked.

If you're not going to implement a universal care program, then:

Yes. Put mandates on the health insurance yakuzas, forcing them to be more reasonable about their rates, and forcing them to insure ANYONE regardless of past medical history.

Yes. Have a government option for those who wish to NOT go through a private party. (Though saying it may cost MORE is the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard.)

YES. Include dental and vision for children (for everyone, but children is a start).

Some of the proposed means of reform are POSITIVE. I can get behind them.

But I cannot, nor will I EVER be able to get behind something that is stripping more of our freedom by giving us and ugly ultimatum that would be more aptly labeled a threat (if you ask me). SIGN UP AND PAY or PAY.

And lord help us all if anyone dare get me started on the fact that it will not cover any care in regard to abortion (unless due to pregnancy from incest, rape or women at risk of losing their life if they carry to term).

This country is in DIRE need of a revolution.

But in the immediate Obama & Co. need to remove their heads from their asses, keep their traps shut, and open their ears, eyes and mind to the REALITY of what the people of this country are facing.

6:04 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Penny-Arcade posts podcasts on how their thought process leads to them making comics.

I have no idea if that's even remotely your cup of tea, but it might be amusing.

Steph - The reality of what the people of your country are facing is that Obama and Co. are the first administration to even make a pretense of listening.

I'm not saying it's not hamfisted, or in many cases, a lot of half-measures that probably won't amount to a hill of beans. All I'm saying is that if it was another republican president in power, there would be no health-care reform. No discussion. No clumsy attempts to wring money out of an idea. Nothing.

Anyway. I'm already rambling way off topic. There is much else that I'm totally in agreement with.

7:33 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Ryan: Alan Cross is cool. I forgot about that. Coast to Coast is great but last time I checked you had to pay for their podcasts, so nuts to that.

Geoff: I honestly don't much care for Penny Arcade, but then again, actually know very little about it other than the few strips I see posted on other sites.

I'm all for comedy though. will check it out.

I've been looking for a straight up tech/video game news one. Any ideas?

as for THE GIRL:

Geoff is right about Obama in that the dude and his people are the only ones not satisfied with standing absolutely still. I won't pretend to know the details, but jesus christ, so much is currently wrong that I don't think it could get any worse.

Making sure every single person is insured isn't necessarily the answer because a huge part of the problem is that nobody knows or cares just how much a service costs because people say things like "oh, it doesn't matter, I have GREAT coverage" which isn't exactly ignorant...because realistically, why SHOULD people care? but it adds a ton of problems and the way hospitals and insurance companies do business is ass backwards in that they can still charge whatever they damn well please and the insurance people can just pay whatever they want.

It came across to me, very much like some shady back alley, black market shit.

That's not a system that works.

Add to that the fact that doctors are in reality independent contractors who work for themselves and that 1/3 (I think that was the number) of all the tests they order (or people demand) are unnecessary, and it's no wonder the costs are astronomical.

Not that all doctors are money hungry shit heads, but really, they are. Of course they are, because they can get away with it.

Plus fee for service is actually quite retarded.

They had an interview with this one economist who at first started talking about how pet insurance is absurd, but by the end of the discussion was praising it and saying that HUMAN insurance and health care would benefit greatly from a similar system.

I won't go over how that works because, quite frankly, I've had enough typing.

also note that I really don't want to ARGUE about this. I'm just saying, it's not easy to fix. Not now.

7:54 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, believe me, I know it's not an easy debacle to fix.

I just hate that they have this fucking hair brained idea of forcing people to partake in something.

Yeah, Obama is showing promise that perhaps from hereon out we'll be opting for presidential candidates who want to be proactive. Eight years isn't enough, unfortunately, for him to get into motion more than a couple of things. And YES that is better than standing still. If you re-read what I wrote, I wasn't advocating leaving shit alone. Not by a long-shot.

And Geoff, seriously, you have to know what I meant by the REALITY this country is facing. If not, I'll gladly explain, though it'd be one hell of a diatribe.



The fact of the matter is this government doesn't know what AFFORDABLE is. And they prove it continually. This is just another example.

5:08 p.m.  
Blogger ryan said...

fuck america.

'nuff said.

9:47 p.m.  
Blogger ryan said...

better start brushing up on your chinese...

9:49 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

what he said, keep doing.

2:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home