Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Polytechnique

I just watched Polytechnique a film about the massacre at the Montreal university in 1989 where a gunman killed 14 women and injured 28 people in the effort to "fight feminism"

I'd recalled reading about the film and its controversy when it was released in Quebec and wondering if I'd ever get a chance to see it.

Then a few days ago I saw it at walmart and all I could remember is the name and how I'd wanted to see it.



It's a film that is sort of hard to watch because it is so utterly bleak and depressing, but it's also of excellent quality and I recommend it very much.

One thing that struck me about the film is that while it's not overly, graphically violent, it feels like one of the most violent films I've ever seen. Perhaps because the events that took place were so utterly hateful, I'm not very sure, but it is convincing and disturbing.

When it was over I sort of sat here and felt a little disgusted at the things that happen in this world.

Then I wondered why I'd want to watch a film based on such things, and I guess I don't really have an answer.

I certainly don't come off on the "These movies are profiting off of tragedy" side of the argument, though.

I think these films get made to remind us and to not let us forget how twisted this place can be.

You can argue all you want, but it's a small Canadian film based on a large Canadian tragedy that I learned was screened for the family members of the victims and released with their blessing, so I don't really feel it is open for debate, despite how others feel.

People should watch this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I remember that happening. I can't imagine being shot to death because you are either female or male.

9:15 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That's how I felt after reading entirely too much about that cult and the poisoned drink.

Lend it to me?

8:42 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I'm like you this kind of stuff interests me. I think its more to do with how fucked up mankind can be at times, it makes me sit back and go holy shit.

Films like this one should remind people in hopes maybe it wont happen again.

Ive been reading a book about the columbine massacre, called columbine. I don't support the massacre, but it kind of gives you a inside looked on how fucked up people can be at times.

8:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home