Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Upgrades,

I'm a guy who LOVES to buy and play around with technology. I think most guys are.

It is strange that cell phones don't really do anything for me though. They don't really excite me like most things.

But I got a new one last night, a Nokia N95 8GB. I wanted it because it is the most similar to my now old one, just a lot more feature packed.



Old versus new


Slightly off topic: I have to say, there are three things I don't understand about people and cell phones:

1. Why do people feel the need to have everything touchscreen based? the thought of having to tap tap tap my way though a menu or a text message doesn't thrill me one bit. Add to that the fact that my brother has had 3 or 4 touchscreen phones that have crapped out on him in just as many months and the whole thing seems like a shit idea so far.

I don't get it. I must be getting old.

2. I also don't get qwerty keyboards. Okay, I get it...but I don't want one. I touched pretty much every phone from every company while looking for a new phone and all these so called convenient slide out keyboards felt terrible. I know the whole "well, you get used to it" thing is true...but that's the thing. I don't want to. T9 on a regular numeric pad is all I require to send a text message, especially when said pad feels as good as this one.

Again, I guess I'm just archaic.

3. Why do people think every device needs to be so slim and compact until you can hardly see it? I don't get it.

The N95 is what a lot of people would consider "big" in that it is a chunky unit. You know what, though? I like that. To me that feels more substantial, less cheaply made and stronger in general.

The same thing happened when I got my Zune at first. Everyone was all "why is it so big?" and I couldn't understand it.

I'd rather have a large beautiful screen (as the N95 does) than a small and ridiculously compact device.

I think it's like a 2 year old phone, but I knew I wanted another Nokia because I love their menu/OS (whatever you want to call it) and build quality, also I didn't want any of the things I mentioned above.

It's an awesome phone so far with a shit ton more features than my other one. 3G, GPS, Wi fi, 5 megapixel camera, 8 gigs to store shit, another camera on the front for video calls and blah blah blah.

It has been fun to mess around with and the camera really is awesome. It's like a fully featured digital camera with a lot of options unlike my other one which was just take a picture or video.

The only thing I don't care for is that it is a two way slider, so you can slide out the little multimedia panel from the top to watch videos and listen to music and shit, actually the only reason I don't care for it is because I'll never use it, that's all.

I also had to switch from Telus to Rogers to get this phone, and I was weary at first, but I'm glad I did because I get FAR better service out here than I did with Telus or anyone else in this house gets with their Telus phones.

Three year contracts are kind of moronic, but like I said, I hardly ever feel the need to get a new phone anyway, so this will probably do me.

By then the only choice I'll have is touchscreen mini phones with cramped QWERTY keyboards.

And I'll get a Nokia.

ps. My ringtone by default (?) is Johann Sebastian Bach.


RESPECT.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I love new phones, I dunno why. I don't even mind reprogramming numbers into it. I briefly had a touchscreen phone and it irritated me and the phone started acting up after I'd only had it a couple months. That sounds like a sweet camera on it though! I don't want a miniphone, I want a phone where I can press the keys without having to use a stylus. I hate rogers though. I know they claim to be the best but Trevor has it and it irritates me when all their lines are busy and I can't get through. Granted it does not happen often but only when I need to get ahold of him asap.

4:06 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

My younger brother was with Rogers for a bit and hated it and that's why I was a bit worried... but honestly, so far it's better to me.

Maybe it's just the phone that gets better reception, I dunno, but I'm very impressed.

I still think both companies are pretty retarded though.

4:28 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I feel the same about cellphones, i don't really care to much about them.

Touch screens seem cool to me, but i think that technology is still to primitive, and completely useless for me, my phone is in my pocket all the time at work and a touch screen would probably get fucked.

Rogers is shit, every phone I've ever had from rogers which has been (3 in total) even back when my parents where on it, were shit. When i went on my own i asked the lady and complained about this and she said, my (new) phone would work everywhere i described having problem's previously with my old one, even at the rents. She was full of shit, the minute i drove off a major highway no service. In town its great but ten km outside of city limits on a back-road I'm done. Ive said that for three upgrades, a new phone, better technology better service, neg its worse. I'm definitely done with rogers once my contract is up.

Contracts are crap, its not so much that having contract sucks, its the fact that technology changes. My cell is only about 2 years old (on a 3yr contract). The battery is dead, only holds a charge for a day if I'm lucky. Rogers does not supply replacement parts for it, i cant get a new battery I've tried everywhere. I'm stuck for another year with a phone that's slowly loosing a charge

hahaha this is kind of a downer comment and epic in nature. I just hope you have better luck with Rogers than I did.

cheerio

12:02 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I love ANY new gadget. Seriously, ANY. I have phone envy already.

You made fun of me for having a flip phone, but I think I prefer it. Slide phones are cool, but I kinda..I dunno. I feel like I would wind up butt-dialing people regularly. Only not with my butt, just with reaching into my purse, or it sliding open in my pocket.

Did you figure out the voicemail?

6:21 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Trevor: Well, if you switch to Telus, expect the exact same thing because as I already said, it is shit and always has been shit out this way.

I couldn't even check my voicemail without the call being dropped and 90% of my text messages were "could not be sent"

I'm not going to argue which is better because I simply don't care, but so far I'm glad I made the switch, Rogers 3G coverage seems VASTLY superior.

Also, I'd check Ebay for a battery, people have shit for pretty much every phone imaginable.

Stephanie: I'm pretty sure that is why cell phones have locking key pads. I've sat on my old one before and called somebody by accident, but that happened like once and was my fault.

I heart sliders.

2:00 p.m.  
Blogger ryan said...

telus has been great for me.

i am gonna get a blackberry once this car business gets going.

7:41 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I have the Blackberry flip. It's okay. The batter cover pops off, and the batter out entirely too easily and it takes five minutes to turn on. The camera sucks.

Perhaps one of the other models is better.

I know better than to buy the first run of anything.

8:20 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Okay I swear I typed y's at the end of "batter."

8:21 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Ryan: See that's what I've heard about telus, they have an excellent network (service wise) but the customer service end suck big ones.

All I want is a phone that works. My parents are with Bell and there's works everywhere, same with trace and telus.

Rogers i think just focuses there shit to much for people that live in cities.

7:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home