Monday, September 28, 2009

More MMO goodness.

I've been looking forward to/reading about Fallen Earth for some time, and so last week, despite seeing some mixed opinions on the game, I got it.


Behold! Eli Cash reborn! I am making some eggs here, you see.


I've been playing it a bit everyday, and everytime I end up enjoying it even more.

You're just you in a post apocalyptic world. I've noticed that while there are quests to do, the whole game seems a lot more free than something like WoW.

I never really got into crafting weapons and shit in that game because it seemed useless and all your selfmade gear was levels below you and/or replaced easily by quest rewards. This game is a lot different though. Pretty much everything you will end up wearing/using will be crafted. Unless you want to spend a lot of your hard earned poker chips (money) and it's actually very cool. It feels like a feat when you finally craft your new jacket or something.


You can "craft" a horse early on. Horses are great because Fuel is expensive and horse feed isn't (yes, you have to fuel your mounts, which is awesome)


most items take a few minutes to make, but some can take up to 10 (and I've read about vehicles and things of that nature taking days/weeks) but the cool part is you just queue up all the stuff you want to make and then just go about your business as it crafts. It even continues when you log out.

The combat is pretty much real time, you can use guns or melee, or a gun in one hand and a knife in the other, it's really rather cool. You also have your standard "skill bar" at the bottom you can use to perform special moves and such.


Here I am beating up a mutant chicken with a homemade club and SHIV to conserve ammo


I like to use guns, but so far I only have these homemade air gun things and a crossbow. You can also play entirely in first person, if you like.

Anyway, it is immensely fun running around scavenging materials and killing random things. So much so that I've played quite a bit and still haven't left the first town I started at.

Leveling up takes a while, but you get XP for crafting and scavenging as well, so it's not too bad. There are also "sub levels" where you get two AP each time, which is used to spend on increasing your stats and skills. It's a really cool leveling system and I like that it's classless.


Some first person action

The bad parts are that it is a huge ass MMO developed by a small company and therefore still has problems/bugs.

It's also (seemingly) very unoptimized graphically, as any time I enter the town with people around, my computer sounds like it's going to explode and the frame rate moves like a slideshow.

I know my computer isn't a super beast, but that's pretty bad, and nearly everyone complains about it.

It's also just a little clunky in general, still.


Eli Cash sporting his awesome grandpa sweater and head wrap.

The good part is that it has so much promise that if they keep patching and improving things, the game could be seriously great.

I don't care what anyone says. It's a fantastic breath of fresh air. I would agree that's it not for everyone, though. I'll never be a World of Warcraft...but that's probably good.

Champions Online is still different enough that I might keep playing it for a bit (though I haven't since I got this game) but if I had to choose between one to pay for every month, I'd pick Fallen Earth.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

haha nice grandpa sweater!

8:48 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Looks good man. If your still playing next month, i might join ya.

8:49 p.m.  
Blogger ryan said...

okay, well i have it now too.

my cpu doesn't even meet the min specs. I need a better video card or whatever, and more RAM.

any tips on upgrading and what not since i don't have the money for a new computer at the moment.

10:49 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I am pretty much in love with this game despite its problems.

It is just very fun and nice to play because you can just piss around and craft things and such.

I think most of my time is just spent riding between two towns to buy different books to learn how to craft/get new attacks... and stopping along the way to scavenge things.

I've done a decent number of quests, but I more about just exploring and learning.

1:59 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

"...but I [am] more about just exploring and learning."

Yay for this. :)

11:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home