Friday, September 18, 2009

we are the chaaaaaampions.

I downloaded Champions Online (damn you Steam for making it so easy to spend money) yesterday and decided I would write about it after a few hours of play.

I enjoy playing MMO's, but realized after I cancelled my WoW account that the next one I play had to be very different, at least in style, so when I realized this was out I decided to give it a shot.

It's basically a new City of Heroes in which you create a hero and save the world.

Creating is the best part. I could probably spend hours on the creation screen mixing colours and costume pieces. It is pretty in depth.

I picked the Power Armor "class" and created a quick Iron Man inspired looking dude seen below.



Throughout the tutorial I was noticing things that were like WoW, but better, some things that were worse, etc...then I just stopped comparing the two and realized I was a damn super hero and that's why this game is so fun.



Time to stop the alien invasion single handedly

The combat is much like WoW, but somehow feels more action oriented, in that it's faster and you have more control, such as a "guard" button (OH MY GOD!)

At level 5 I picked my travel power and had to go with the fucking ROCKET BOOTS because no power armor should be without them!


shhrrrrpowwww! Lewer is off to save the day

There was a shitload to choose from though, some real odd ones like burrowing underground and such.

I'm still going through the new MMO phase where everything is confusing and overwhelming, but so far it is a good time waster (like all MMO's) and it feels a little "lighter" than WoW, which is a plus to me.

I just want to log in and kill some shit, sometimes.

Too early to say if it will have the same lifespan that World of Warcraft had for me, but whatever. ROCKET BOOTS.

10 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

I'm tempted to get Champions Online, simply because a lot of people have gotten bored with WoW and switched over.

That said, I'm not going to get it right away, because said people will likely all go flocking back to WoW when the new expansion hits, because, like it or hate it, the addiction never really goes away.

I just don't know. My approach to playing MMORPG's is counter intuitive, because they're founded on social interaction, whereas I just tend to play by myself.

It kind of defeats the whole purpose.

1:40 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I am the same way. I mostly solo everything.

Which is why I liked playing WoW with real life friends, even if I wasn't actually playing with you guys, we could at least chat and whatever, so it was cool.

But yeah, I mostly just run around and kill shit alone.

Maybe team up with the odd random group, usually filled with dickheads.

6:05 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Also, is there officially a new WoW expansion coming?

I don't know how I feel about that.

6:09 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

shhrrrrpowwww! Lewer is off to save the day

hehe..

He is awesome looking. Also TOTALLY (the rocket boots).

8:18 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Yeah.

Apparently there's going to be flying mounts in the Azeroth proper, the worgen are a playable race (and goblins too), and, well, just generally more shit for the people with too much time on their hands.

I don't know if I'm going to get it. A lot of people seem to have gotten disenfranchised with it.

1:08 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Hmm, yeah, I don't know if I'll bother, but who can say for sure.

On that note I've also been wanting to try Aion and/or Fallen Earth, which come out on Tuesday I think, but I don't know if I have the time/want to spend the money, so perhaps I'll stick to Champions for the time being, unless I buy one of those others on a whim.

1:20 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

That game looks pretty good, but i dunno, i kind of want to get into something that's gonna be a definite atleast for a while, and that i can play with you guys. The soloing is great but i want something that we can all play together.

DIABLO 3 guys, Diablo 3

I gave in, started warcraft again, except just a new character me and Doug are working up. Im leveling in areas i've never been to. so its kind of a new in a way i guess.

3:00 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

That looks fun. I want rocket boots, except for real.

10:10 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I tried that in WoW and still got bored/tired of it pretty quickly.

I think that game needs to change significantly (somehow) for me to get interested in it again. It is awesome, but you know how it is.

Diablo 3 will be good, but that's kind of a different beast altogether. Well, in a way.

6:13 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I just feel that playing a mmorpg requires too much time to achieve anything great.

I enjoyed warcraft as long as i was playing it 4+ hours a day with Trace everyday, you could actually get the cool gear and what not, now its just kind of meh, because i know trace doesn't play, and any of my guys i try to level i will loose interest in, because of that.

You guys are on whacked out time schedules so hopes of ever seeing/playing with you guys online are very slim.

I just want to play something, really story driven, somewhat multi player, but can be played solo.

So i am eagerly awaiting Diablo 3.

I just need something i can get excited about, that i don't have to spend 4 hours a night for three years to create something of minor significance.

I need another ZELDA!!!!

5:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home