Thursday, October 29, 2009

7

So...clean.

Well, a few days ago I installed Windows 7 without really planning on it.

I had pre-ordered it off of Amazon months ago when they had their special half price thing, and them promptly forgot about it until I got the shipping email.

I had downloaded the beta/release candidate version but never installed it because I just didn't feel like fucking around.

So far, after minor use, I have to say that it's pretty great.

I know it's always been popular to talk shit about Microsoft and their operating systems, but honestly, I actually liked Vista quite a bit.

The worst part about it, to me, is that it always felt too bloated and bogged down (in that it hogged a lot of resources) and that's not really how an OS should feel. It should be quick and CRISP.

So far, while Windows 7 is essentially a fine tuned Vista, it is a shit ton quicker already and just really nice looking.

The reason I REALLY installed though, aside from liking to play around with new things, is that I've wanted a 64 bit operating system ever since Dell screwed me over right from the factory.

So I installed the 64 bit version (both are included) and have had no issues whatsoever with updating drivers and such...so fingers crossed.

Now, all my sweet sweet RAM is finally detected and (seemingly) working. I'm not really an expert on 32 vs. 64 but reading up on it a bit, it certainly seems like the way to go if you can and is becoming more and more common.

My only slightly negative feelings about Windows 7 come from the new taskbar. It's cool looking and certainly reduces clutter, but is also slightly LESS functional than the old style, but only with certain programs.




When you mouse over any program with more than one open window they all pop up in a mini preview and you can click on them to view, which works well with a lot of things, but I've found it a tad frustrating when using something like Messenger and keeping track of multiple conversation windows. Or rather, not frustrating, just not exactly time saving like it is intended to be.

Of course you can mess with it and make it more like the old style, but I think I'm just gonna try and adjust for now.

Being able to close windows/programs from the little thumbnail preview is pretty awesome though.

Other little cool things include the Aero Shake function where you grab an open window and shake it with the mouse, which minimizes every other open window and focuses on the one you're grabbing. It is fun to do.

I'm still putting shit back on and tracking down a few updated drivers, so I could always run into some catastrophic problem, but so far it is smooth sailing.

PS. I was originally going to also write about some movies here, but this is already too long so I'll do it another time or not at all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I like new OS....sure they might be an inconvenience to some (cough cough trevor) but I think it's fun figuring out the new stuff.

8:17 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Its not that they're a inconvenience, i love new technology and messing around with it.

Its just that i finally have XP running on my computer, where it works awesome, no crashes, everything is seamless.

Flashy graphics and features that actually force me the user to loose even more control and functionality of my computer, because Microsoft tries to idiot proof stuff doesnt do anything for me.

In the end i want a computer that runs seamless (let me tell you its taken me years to iron out xp to near perfection), plays my games, stores my photo's. Which is what i have.

9:18 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Yeah but Vista did all that for me as well, that's why I don't get how someone can like one and hate the other when they are more or less the same but with a few quirks.

For the record, XP crashed on me more times than Vista ever did. Perhaps it's because I used XP for a longer time, but still. It's not as rock solid as everyone likes to say it is.

Anyway, if/when you decide to try out 7, I bet you'll like it.

I dunno. I just enjoy the discovery process and messing with settings and so on.

6:41 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Really? I've Run XP on every machine I've ever had, and never really had any problems with it. My cpu at home maybe crashed once last year and its on just about 24/7

I'm definitely going to get 7 just a matter of time. I prefer to get initial feed back from my tech nerd friends I went to school with at Nait and the media before i upgrade.

So far i haven't really read anything bad about it.

Still though Vista was garbage, that's kind of why 7 is here man. Its Microsoft attempt to fix their problem. Kind of what they did when they released Millennium edition, XP fixed that screw up pretty nice.

10:37 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Still though anything is better than owning a mac.

Also where did you get your copy of 7?

10:40 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I REALLY don't understand the Mac hatred.

I love my current iMac. I loved my previous iMac. I loved the old I-don't-even-remember-the-model-name Macs I used in high school for yearbook.

You guys talk about computers crashing- I have had a Mac crash on me less than 5 times. I have run out of patience before waiting for something to force quit and just pulled the plug (blasphemy! I know!), but still. I'd say that's pretty damn good for the past 10 years.

For a casual user such as myself, Macs are the least frustrating way to go, in my opinion.

8:15 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

WELLLLLLLLLLLLL my parents have macs (my Dad prefers them) and they are always crashing, maybe computers really like you :D

10:38 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I personally dislike macs because it seems (and I am being serious here) that 95% of the people who use them are douche bags who think they are better/cooler/whatever because of it.

And that's pretty much how they are marketed and I hate it.

I haven't used on since my school days so they could be great...the point is that I just DON'T GIVE A SHIT.

that and I like to you know, actually play games on my computer.

I don't even want to have a mac vs pc thing because I don't give a shit.

12:20 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I just dislike any corporation that has the gumption to tell me how I can, and can't use their stuff.

Also, their marketing aims to show the superiority of their system when, at its heart, it's no different from any other computer on the market.

Yes, they're easy to use. Yes, they crash less. But their approach to their products is like selling me a car with a hood that doesn't open.

I'm inclined to let each person have their own. My sister uses a Mac. I use (several) Windows-based computers. Frankly, that's all I have to say about that.

6:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home