Saturday, November 21, 2009

Dear vampires, fuck off.

A while ago I bought the first season of the HBO show True Blood because it was on sale and I'd always wanted to give it a go.

I liked it well enough at the beginning, then it got lame, then slightly better...and then the season ended with probably the dumbest "twist" of all time.

While watching it, I was so conflicted because some parts of it are just so...SO awful that it's hard to want to keep going, but the reality is that it is pretty much a soap opera with vampires and so every episode just has this obvious "hook" to get you to watch another, and it works. I'll admit it.

Some of the cool stuff involves how vampires are just living among humans but looked down on. The whole "racial" tension thing is cool, and I liked the scenes featuring Eric, the Sheriff of the vampire district. Their codes/way of life and blah blah blah.

There was plenty I didn't enjoy though, one bit of which is that the main protagonist played by Anna Paquin is perhaps the dumbest and most annoying character ever created. Nearly every time she opens her mouth to speak, I cringe in anticipation of what stupidity she might bring forth, or how she'll sound saying it.

Then I started thinking about how it's probably what I imagine Twilight to be except more adult (tits and blood and swearing, woo!) and it made me gag a little.

Vampires are clearly the new Pirates and I think I'm kind of sick of anything even remotely involving vampires, especially vampires IN LOVE with humans or trying to act un-vampire like.

Fuck off.

Unless it involves Kate Beckinsale.

Anyway, I liked it well enough to finish it and since it was only the first season, I'd give it another go to see if it improves any in season 2, but I'm not rushing to find out.

Final thought:

I've been tossing around the idea of starting a movie/tv site, which would really just be a blog type thing where I could write this shit and not force anyone to see it, but then I realize I'm just too damn lazy, so deal with it for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I also can't stand the way Anna Paquin's character talks/sounds, but it doesn't really bother me that much. Ha, how about that part with Sookie's friend and the voodoo witch lady, whatever she was.

The only thing that annoys me about most soap opera like shows is that they tend to run a couple of seasons too long and become a particularly convoluted mess..to the point it's almost painful to watch. Hopefully this one will be different. ..Doubtful! But I plan on enjoying it for as long as I can stand it :)

--

I love reading ALL of your blog posts. Seriously. So if you ever do...you know I'll want a link :)

11:29 a.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

I've never watched a whole episode. You should do a movie blog...when you have more energy.

12:23 p.m.  
Blogger Everyman said...

I agree 100%. I watched true blood and loved it (Soprano's with vampires, hmm, maybe deadwood with vampires) but it is certainly the only good one. Twilight was awful, I left the cinema halfway through. Vampire diaries is the worst thing on TV

http://everyman1.blogspot.com/

2:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home