Friday, December 05, 2008

two wheels are better than four.

Many moons ago I picked up a DVD of a series called "Long way round" which was about Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman riding motorcycles from London to New York...going east, some 20,000 miles.

I don't remember writing about it, but I should have. It was one of the coolest things I've ever watched. Beautiful and inspiring to a crazy degree and often very funny. I loved it.

A few weeks ago I discovered that "Long way down" was available and bought it instantly. In this follow up the guys ride from Scotland to Cape Down through Africa and 18 countries over 15,000 miles.


A decent preview for anyone interested.

It too, is a great and inspiring experience.

Even before I was interested (owned) a motorcycle I found the idea absolutely incredible... and basically if the prospect of viewing all the situations they get themselves in and all the beautiful places they see sounds even the least bit intriguing, I would bet money you would be entertained by the series.

Also worth noting is that Ewan McGregor isn't your typical pretty boy celebrity. He's hilarious and awesome and seems like a totally cool guy, so don't let that put you off.

Overall, I would say "Long way round" is "better" but it's kind of a stupid thing to say. Certainly worth watching first if you can, though.

Anyway. Like I said, pretty powerful and moving stuff...but maybe I'm just weird.

It's just incredible how much fucking world there is out there that people never see. I guess watching this is as close to that as you can get.

The thought of riding and seeing it on a motorcycle gives me chills.

So yup.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Well sir. That looks awesome.

And it gave me chills too.


You know, I've never ever thought of Ewan McGregor as being a pretty boy. So good looking though. Oh god.

I love documentary like movies. But you know this already. Also I think you told me about it back when you first watched it.

5:00 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

My Dad was telling me about this a while back, apparently it was a mini series on T.V. or something. They also did a ride like that across Africa.

Were planning to go across Canada one of these years. From Tofino on Vancouver Island to as far east as we can go.

You should come, it has the makings of a good time.

10:14 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

We should do a ride this summer, Head North to Alaska.

10:16 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Long way round is London to new york.

Long way down is the Africa one.

I would like to go on a trip, but I'm still not all that confident in my skills. ( I mean I AM, but still, you know how it is)

I am so looking forward to a full summer of riding though. Which sucks because winter just started...

But we should do SOMETHING. SOMETIME. For sure.

10:22 a.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

That looks cool. I remember hearing about it but never really heard more about it than its existence. You should lend us both!

10:26 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home