Monday, October 13, 2008

oh Barker, you sick fuck.

I recently signed up with one of those online game rental places so that I could save money on games in the long run and still remain a hermit.

So I am playing games that I originally passed on or didn't have time for and I just finished Clive Barker's Jericho.

Not only can I officially say i enjoyed it a great deal, but it is vastly underrated...or unappreciated, if you prefer.

You basically play as a group of people trained in occult warfare and set yourself out on a mission to save the planet from demons and bad people and all that shit.

The story is awesome, the characters are intriguing and the visuals are creepy and dark as fuck.


Exhibit A (yes, I did shoot him in the head. How could I not?)

You get to play as a guy who SPOILER ALERT...dies in the first 20 minutes of the game, but remains alive in spirit form which allows you top hop from teammate to teammate and try out their individual skills and abilities. Like a sniper who can use telekinesis to "steer" her bullets, or the dude who can astral project or the chick who cuts herself to cast blood magic and so on.

It is not perfect, but is a far cry from the crap a lot of people tried to tell me it was. I guess it got lost amongst the other first person shooters because it doesn't have any tough space marines or aliens in it.



Exhibit B

Anyway, God Bless Clive Barker for wanting to toss some of his genius into the gaming arena once again, now let's hope for a sequel that people actually play.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

I've heard about this game but tossed it aside it actually looks decent.

2:36 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I don't know.

I was greatly disappointed by it. It was like the game was trying to do something for me, but ended up failing in nearly every regard.

It seemed like a lot of "insert gore and disturbing imagery here" moments, and after the first chapter, it just tended to get a bit tedious.

That, and the one boss drove me nuts for about three months.

But either than that, there was some decent points. Such as exploding heads and heavy fire power, et al.

9:49 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

well, part of what makes it not perfect was the really linear level design and the fact that all the enemies basically just attack in waves at preset points...

but I don't know, it did more for me than my time with Halo 3 has done...so that says something, anyway.

also, I almost stopped playing the game during the first chapter. I personally think it picks up significantly once you get to the Roman era or whatever it is.

10:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home