Friday, October 10, 2008

I can indeed.

I have been fighting with the urge to post something like this.

I don't really want to...but it's easy and I am bored.

Voting.

I am going to vote in this Canadian election on Tuesday and while I used to question why...the answer is simply because I CAN.

Which might sound like a load of malarky, but it isn't.

I am tired of people (this goes for apathetic Americans as well) complaining how they don't care for any candidates and that elections are a forgone conclusion. They use that as their reason as to why they don't vote.

Yet, engage them in some sort of political conversation and 95% of them do indeed have opinions either way.

I wonder, then, where the problem is.

I am old enough (cynical enough?) to know that the whole "you can make a difference" talk is horse shit. Of course it is.

No one person can really make a difference by voting, unless you are in a shitty Kevin Costner film.

But I feel drawn to do it anyway...again, Because I can.

In fact I could simply write "bollocks" on my voter card if I wanted to. Why? because I can.

I do subscribe to the notion that those who don't vote ought to shut the fuck up when the election is over. They all eventually complain about this policy or that or how they hate this guy and blah blah blah.

Anyway, Canadians need to man up and go vote. It's a good excuse to go do something...something like showing that robotic fuck Stephen Harper that you don't like his robot face or how his mood setting is always set to "smug fuck" mode.

Am I rite?

Well I had to throw that in...truth is voting for a smug robot is better than not voting.

PS. loves you. Just so you know.

15 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I'm not voting! But I won't be complaining either. I agree that those who don't vote should shut the fuck up.

12:17 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I'm a firm believer in the "spoiled ballot" party.

That is, if you're not pleased with any of the applicable candidates, spoil your ballot.

They count those, and if there's too many, they have to recall the election.

If everyone who didn't vote actually went and spoiled their ballot, the election would have to be recast - which I believe is a more accurate representation of people's faith in their politicians and political system.

Alternatively, we could always just seize power through a coup d'etat. It's not like anyone would even notice or care.

1:31 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

See, that's what I mean.

Doing something even when doing nothing is easier.

I guess it is just how I am.

I am still throwing around the idea of voting for myself.

6:25 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Harper is the only guy who isn't going gaga over carbon tax or shutting the oil sands down and pretty much destroying the Canadian Economy.

It pretty much boils down to which is better - Standard of living or Tree Hugging.

On a side note spoiling the ballot is a waste, for one reason - the people have to pay to have another election, which costs us in the long run.

So we are not really saying anything except we are too dumb to choose were to place that x and we like wasting money.

Plus I don't think it’s hard to go online find one guy that you share one opinion with and hope he actually does what he says.

They are all Liars (part of what it takes to get into politics), but one can hope.

7:39 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Trevor, I am pretty sure that's because Stephen Harper is an emotionless robot.

His party doesn't even seem to have a platform. Anytime I've seen him pressed about an issue he says pretty much nothing. Meaning he's either:

1. a smug fuck
2. a complete moron.

he's pretty much the Canadian George Bush.

Thinking about him makes me cringe sometimes.

11:48 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

He is a douche, but IMO Dion, and Layton are worse. They get in and go through with all this Enviromental taxes and shit. Canada is pretty much screwed. Right now its oil that is running the country.

I'm all for cleaning up earth, but I'm not for hundreds of thousands of families out of work and drawing welfare cause of it.

I'm not backing any party, but destroying what we do have is not the answer either.

There probably is a happy medium somewhere, and hopefully it will get achieved.

Then again, i dunno, all these guys are Full of it.

12:15 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

On a side note spoiling the ballot is a waste, for one reason - the people have to pay to have another election, which costs us in the long run.

Well, the only thing worse than paying for an election and spoiling the ballot, is paying for an election and not even bothering to show up.

Either way, the taxpayers are paying for it. But that's democracy. I'm only saying that it's more accurate in the counting to spoil your ballot rather than not show up.

That way, you're actually tallied as a vote rather than some statistic that's just written off.

That's all. If there was a party worth getting behind, go for it. But I can't stand fuckers who complain about the parties and then they use that as an excuse to not vote. Democracy isn't a right, people. It's a bloody privelage, and it's one that will get taken away if things continue at the current pace.

6:30 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

What's so wrong with 'smug fuck' anyway? Some people can't help if they were born with a jerk face.

PS I am no Harper fan. I am not any politician's fan. I'm going to go and vote for dan.

8:50 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

it's not just his face.

It is his entire attitude and the way he speaks. There is something very, very off about him.

Also good work voting!

6:19 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Its a party your voting for, not Americas next top model. The others are far from perfect to.

Like i said before, look into the parties ideals and go for that, not because hes sexy.

There is no wrong person to vote for, just whether or not he is where you want to see the country going.

2:44 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I tend to go with my instinct first and my instinct is that Stephen Harper is a smug fuck. and I don't want that.

what does being sexy have to do with anything, here? who brought that up?

PS. there is a wrong person to vote for, his name is Stephen Harper.

BOOYAH.

3:12 p.m.  
Blogger ryan said...

communism.

that is all.

4:16 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I'm with Ryan.

4:17 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

ps. Go read the party websites before you vote... might change your mind.

4:21 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I would vote for the communist party of Canada.

5:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home