Saturday, June 09, 2007

I'm gonna slice ya!

I was reading about some games yesterday and came upon Manhunt 2 for the Wii, along with this little gem about it:

"Consider for one moment that in Manhunt 2 you can, Wii remote and nunchuk in hands, use a pair of pliers to clamp onto an enemy's testicles and literally tear them from his body in a bloody display; and if that weren't enough, you'll take one of the poor victim's vertebrae along with his manhood. Or, if you'd prefer, you can use a saw blade and cut upward into a foe's groin and buttocks, motioning forward and backward with the Wii remote as you go."

Not only did that sell me on the game itself, but it made me think and do a little more research.

I've been waiting until a game such as this came along for the Wii. Since it's obviously more interactive people are already calling it a "murder simulator" and I have to say, I think it's a little ridiculous.


I'm not sure what exactly is going on here, but it looks like a good time.


The whole violent videogame debate has been beaten to death, so I won't get into it, but to me games are games and the violence here is almost so over the top it's funny. Ripping someones balls off? come on!

I admit some of it sounds downright disgusting and shocking...but I'd venture to say that is the point. Slasher films have been doing it for 35+ years, so why do games get so much flack? Don't answer that. I know the answer, but it's real stupid.

If anything I'm concerned about how much of a boner this game is going to give Jack Thompson in regards to his holy crusade against violence in video games. The Wii is gonna get some negative press from this goon the second the game is on the shelf.

Then again there really is no "negative" when it comes to the press. Publicity like that is going to make this game sell even more copies. It always does.

As for me, I can't wait to rip some guys balls off, provided the rest of the game is fun. I played the original and it got pretty boring after a while, but this one seems more character driven and I dig that. Also blood. sweet, sweet BLOOD.

In unrelated news I have to admit, I think it's time for a haircut. Not only is it just annoying in general, but it's fucking hot being outside for any amount of time. I might take it all off in a few days.



8 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

Speaking of bloody hell.

I played Gears of War last time I was in Calgary. I thought it was pretty generic and straightforward until a friend of mine snuck up behind me and cut me in half with his chainsaw baton.

And I don't mean *vroom* it's done. I mean, he started on my shoulder, and started cutting. My avatar starts screaming in his alien tongue while this asshole is cleaving him in half. Then of course, the blade gets stuck halfway through, so what should've been a clean cut took almost 20 seconds to complete.

And then he proceeded to play soccer with my limbs.

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Baton. Pfff. I'm retarded.
That should read bayonet.

11:55 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm just glad you find it over the top to the point of being humorous.

You're totally right though about it generating all kinds of press. It'll be interesting and annoying, no doubt, to read the articles that'll abound.

HAIRCUT! Woo! We should go on the same day, my hair could use a trim.

1:03 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut ittttttttttt

12:41 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Im utterly shocked that a game like this even exists the violence in it makes me sick. This kind of game is what is ruining society, you should be ashamed to even play such a grotest piece of violence. ;)

9:57 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

wow nothing? i was hoping to strike a nerve and get into a logical debate. Violence isnt good persay but censoring is worse, you dont like it dont play it.

The game looks good. We should tag team Neils mom and get my wii back!!!

5:31 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

violence is violence.

I'd much rather see it in a game/movie than real life anyway.

I don't see what the big deal is.

And for the record I'm more excited about the game and its clever use of the Wii remote than I am over the extreme violence.

That's not to say I won't enjoy seeing the mass amounts of red, but still. It's not because I'm sick in the head, it never has been. I just enjoy seeing people die! I swear!

Censoring is terrible and I hope one day people will just realize that we all have choices on what we watch and play. Nobody forces you to play games where you kill people.

6:51 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Censoring is terrible and I hope one day people will just realize that we all have choices on what we watch and play. Nobody forces you to play games where you kill people.

YES.

11:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home