Thursday, June 21, 2007

boring rant

Well only a week or so after my Manhunt 2 post it seems the game is already in a shitstorm of bad press.

It's been banned in the UK. Yes, banned. Illegal to sell because of its "unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone... which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing".

In North America, it has been rated AO for Adults Only. No console game has ever been rated and released as AO because not only will stores not carry them, but consoles makers won't even licence them.

I think it's bullshit that Walmart has no problem carrying unrated DVD's of films like Hostel and the like, but won't stock and sell an adult rated game to adults.

I also think it's retarded to have such a rating if the games that get it aren't even allowed to exist.

Now I bet they'll have to go and change whatever pushed them past the usual Mature rating and that irritates me. Just as it does when films get cut and edited to hell because some suit wearing prick thinks it's inappropriate.

I want to play the game as the developers originally intended. That's why this is making me angry. It's not about blood or violence. Censorship really gets to me. As does a bogus rating system.

Products like this have their audiences and I see no reason to even be making such a big deal about this, as said audiences know exactly what they are in for and are most likely smart enough to deal with it.

Anyway, it makes me think of the earlier claims that this is the most violent game ever made. I thought it was all hype, but it really must be true, considering how much extreme shit you can get away with in an M rated title.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

The game actually doesn't have much in the way of violence that isn't found in other games.

The only reason it got the AO rating was specifically because of the bad press and speculation about it. I mean, if everyone says it's too violent, it's gotta be too violent, right?

Wrong. I can't believe they'd ban a videogame when they have movies that deal expressly with the same subject matter playing ALL THE TIME in theatres where viewers UNDER THE AGE OF FIVE are coming in with their parents to watch.

Fuckin' hypocrites.

10:44 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

yeah exactly. And the ESRB thinks of it as a "victory" and at the same time the developers have said they pretty much originally made it to fit an M rating like other games of the same nature. And that it is being singled out for no reason.

It's bullshit. All of it.

2:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home