Friday, July 28, 2006

There's magic in those pages!

I probably read a little more than the average person, but that's not really saying much. I recently got some new books though, and I just finished one.




Hey Nostradamus! By Douglas Coupland is told from the perspective of four different people who's lives are changed forever after a school shooting.

It starts in 1988, being narrated by Cheryl, a dead girl. She goes into detail about her past life, her death and how it feels to be where she now is.

We then get to be her boyfriend and young husband Jason nine years later, as he's struggling desperately to move on from the massacre.

then we experience the side of Heather, two years later, a woman trying to love a broken and lonely Jason.

and finally Jason's cruel and overly religious father who finds himself questioning everything.

Each perspective references other characters and times, which might sound confusing, but believe me it all flows wonderfully.

These characters struggle to pull shattered lives together, they deal with loss of faith, loneliness and questions that nobody has answers to.

What needs to be said is just how utterly powerful, moving and completely sad this book is. It is one of the most amazing things I've read.

I finished it in what must be record time for me (about 5 hours) because when I DO find a good book, I very seriously cannot put it down.

Books are so awesome because when I'm done I literally sit here for 30 minutes taking it all in and thinking about it. More than I do with most films. I don't know what it is, but it's like an entirely different feeling.

Anyway, I absolutely recommend this novel to anybody who wants to read something real, crushing and yet oddly beautiful.

I was going to go into more detail but I'm exhausted.

Goodnight moon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I looked for this at Hastings yesterday, but all I found by Coupland were Elanor Rigby and All Families are Psychotic. I almost bought the latter, but at the last moment decided to do a little more looking. I think I'll just get it on Amazon. It sounds VERY interesting. Perhaps a bit hard to read because of the emotional factor, but..probably worth it.

There's no way I could finish it in five hours though! That is insanity.

You are my hero.

12:44 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I saw it last time i was in chapters but never really looked into it, it sounds intresting enough. But ive said that hundreds of times, i have probably 50 books ive boughten over the years that ive read maybe 5 chapters out of and just quit reading it.

I guess if it doesent grab my attention in the first few chapters i usually dont finish it.

9:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home