Monday, July 24, 2006

movie night

WELL,

I saw Lady In the Water with the guys tonight.

I shall keep this brief, but I liked it. I liked it a lot. It's the kind of movie that grows on you AFTER it is over.

This movie is going to catch a lot of shit because of what it is. People will either love it or hate it. I realized why I liked it so much on my drive home. It's because Shyamalan tells a story so outlandish and unbelievable, but it works somehow.

In the end it's all about how much you let yourself get into it. You can sit there and scoff at the fact that it isn't real or that there are plot holes here and there, or you can believe it for what it is and let it entertain you. It's actually quite easy to do, people.

It's a fairy tale story told in modern times. Many people would hear that and be turned off immediately.

The people who will "get" this movie are the ones who always wanted stuff like this to be true. The people who want to believe that magical, extraordinary things CAN happen to normal people in a normal world.

And I do. I believe that is the "message" in this film and I adore it because of that.

Also, Paul Giamatti is an incredible actor.

This won't change your mind about Shyamalan. If you disliked his other efforts you probably won't like this one, but I still consider him one of the greatest directors of our time for many reasons.

It's just too bad that it's cool to hate him these days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

IIIIIIIINTERESTING.

Very iiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting.

10:40 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I don’t think its cool to hate him; I just think he is an acquired taste. Its kind of like Burton or Kubrick, some of there films are well out there, some of his are too, definitely not mainstream type of films, which is why you have to respect the guy.

Lady in the Water was enjoyable.

11:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home