Sunday, November 06, 2005

Am I awake?

Still on the subject of sleep/dreams...

At a forum I visit regularly, there was a discussion about dreams. The subject of Sleep Paralysis was talked about.

I have these. Sometimes very often.

And they scare the living fuck out of me.

Basically what happens is I wake up (or feel as if I am awake) but I feel held down and as if someone or something is strangling me. I hear nothing but a very loud "woosh" sound. I always try and yell out for help at the top of my lungs...But no sound comes out, all the while trying to stand up or roll out of bed but being unable to do so.

And so when I read this I got a serious case of the shivers:

"
People frequently report feeling a 'presence' that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on the bed. On some occasions, the presence may attack, strangling and exerting crushing pressure on the chest."

I can honestly say that nothing in my other dreams or even daily life scares me more than going through that. I know there is no way to accurately describe the terror, but believe me...luckily I've not had one for a few months and I'm SO glad. There was a period of a few weeks or so where I got them every few nights, and I swear to god it literally made me afraid to close my eyes and sleep.

Some people report the experience being sexual (the Succubus) sadly, no dice for me. Instead I wake up in a dark room with my mind absolutely fucked over from fear, and there is not a damn thing sexual about it.


I realized stuff like this absolutely fascinates me, which is why I'm even posting and researching. Sleep + dreams + the human brain is all so amazing...and yet completely terrifying, as I'm again scared to go to bed.

I believe I've told Stephanine about these a few times, and that she said she'd had experiences something like mine. Anyway, I'd just like to know if anyone else out there has these things and would like to offer some personal insight.

4 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

You know it. I've had all kinds of weird experiences in my dreams. I don't remember if I've said it before, but all my dreams are lucid. I'm aware I'm dreaming.

However, there is an exception. I tend to sleepwalk. A lot.

That aside, yeah. Dreams are the place to be. I've run the whole gamut from terrifying nightmares, to heartbreaking alternate realities, to... yes, I seem to recall there being some sexual dreams too. However, those ones often turn into nightmares.

The interesting thing about fear in dreams is that its more powerful. If you fear something evil in your dreams, it grows stronger, and more terrifying, until you get to the point where you're paralyzed by fear. I can't say "just don't be afraid," because if you think its real, then you're going to be afraid.

Just think of something comforting, or something that gives you strength. Think of the sun, that ever-burning sonofabitch. Use it as a weapon. Or become something more terrifiyng yourself. If you believe you can intimidate your own fear, in your dreams, it will happen.

There's more I could say, but I don't want to write a book in your comments section. T'would be rude.

7:12 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

jesus man, watch the exorcism of emily rose, whether its accurate or not i dont know but that follows the signs of possesion to.

I havent had an experience that bad, but i have woke up for no reason and felt something watching me, i was to terrified to look. Another time i cant quite distinguish whether i was sleeping or dreaming, but i woke up for no reason looked by my door and there was little boy standing there. then he walked away down the hallway. That disturbed me for quite some time.

As for sleep walking i remember doing it once, when i was really little and had to take afternoon naps, i feel asleep in my bed and woke up in the hallways right outside my parents room....

fasinating yet disturbing. If that feeling of ever being held down happened to me, i dunno id loose it, i have a hard time dealing with stuff like that.

10:18 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Yeah. It's not even really a dream, or it is...but it's completely different in a way, which is why it really gets to me...and waking up on a dark room after having it happen is just...even worse. I keep thinking there IS someone in my room, so I just lay there scared to fuck.

Raine: I cannot recall ever having a lucid dream. Well, there was this one time when I was little in which I remember saying to myself "This has got to be a dream" but I think Lucid dreams are a bit more than that. They interest me as well.

Also, I can't do the "don't be afraid because it isn't real" bit, because believe me, the line between dreaming and reality is blurred incredibly in what I've experienced. It's like waking up with someone or something attacking you.

3:21 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

...so I just lay there scared to fuck.

I know I've already told you this before, but the most memorable one of those dreams I had was the one that kicked off that stretch of insomnia. I was too fucking scared to turn the lights off, and too scared to go to sleep.

Creepycreepycreepycreepycreepy!

Maybe I am confusing these dreams with night terrors...or maybe they're one in the same, but I think I've heard that they can be spawned by intense fatigue.

Twitching of the eye can be caused by that, you know.

And then my right eye starts twitching uncontrollably.

5:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home