Monday, October 24, 2005

I am so much more me that you are perfectly you.

Today has been a weird one.

My mind has been wondering like crazy. I've been "up" and happy to be alive to completely down and wishing I had a time machine to go backwards all within a few minutes...30 times over.

Everything just feels so dreamy. I keep having these "moments" that I cannot describe. My feelings are all over the map.

This might be what it is like to go legitimately crazy. I don't know. I can't really explain it any better than I already have.

I've seen a few news stories lately about how large one of the lotteries is going to be around here, it was some obscene amount...40 million I believe.
People were going on and on about how there were going to be lineups everywhere because everyone and their grandma will be buying tickets.

All I could do is sit back and think. There are places in this country...And really, the entire world where 40 million dollars would make all the difference for people and families who have nothing...And yet people who can afford to gamble on a chance for a slice of the pie are going to end up winning this disgusting amount.

I eventually said to myself "how sick" and I think it really is.

Do I blame people for wanting to be rich? Absolutely not. It's the whole idea of it all that sickens me.
I swear if I ever won some huge sum of money like that a whole shitload would be given away in an instant, yes, to people I know and care about...But even more than that.

Everybody wants to have the things the want, I'm no different...But there are people in this world who don't even have the things they need...

I'm not saying it would make any huge difference to anybody, I'm just saying I've no need for 40 million dollars.

Not in this lifetime...Not in any.

And that, my friends, has been the only real put together thought I've had all day.

Not that I mind it, really...

3 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Hey I went out and bought a ticket when I heard that.

I mean if I won it I know for sure a good chunk of it would be going to a designated charity of my choice. Plus family and friends. I mean what the hell do I need 40 million for?

One thing it does do it gives people hope and excitement. If you poorer family and buying that one tickets puts a little bit of excitement in your life I have no problem with that. It’s something that gives people hope and something to dream about.

On the other hand that money could be easily spent on poorer less fortunate countries but in all goodness and fairness what would it do? Sweet fuck all. By the time it went through all the charities, you maybe fed a country for a week and the rest of it would be wasted on the administration costs or confiscated by an already dirty government to build imaginary weapons of mass destruction and give the US another false reason to fuck over yet another country in the ongoing quest for total world domination.

Then again maybe that’s just me…. I think the suits are at the door.

6:45 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Someone in Oregon just won the Powerball this past Wednesday. It was 340 million.

I cannot even fathom how much money that is. I know that once taxes are taken out it only amounts to about half of that, but still.

170 million bucks?

I'm with you. I wouldn't just hoard it all to myself. Not by any means. Maybe it's not quite as noble as helping another country, but I think I would try and tackle poverty on a more local level. Help families in need. Even if that just meant supporting a roof over ten different families' heads. Or something like that.

God..I can't even think for two seconds about all of the people out there with absolutely nothing, without even the things they need, as you said, I can't think about it without starting to cry.

I think of the random few people who have made all of the difference in the world for my own family and there is absolutely no way to express just how much we've appreciated it.

My mom's always calling it "grace", and there really isn't any other way to put it.

Anyway..I want to touch people's lives.

And it is sick.

7:24 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

"340 million".... My head hurts just comprehending that.

That’s just insane, how does a person even spend that much in their entire life????

I agree with you, it should be focused on local stuff, stuff that you as a person have a chance to effect in a good way. Plus knowing that you don’t have to work ever again, doesn’t hurt.

8:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home