Friday, October 14, 2005

Potemkin city limits

I got my hands on the new Propagandhi CD yesterday. I pre-ordered it from their record company and they sent them out early. (its real release is October 18th)

I've been waiting nearly 5 years for some new stuff from these guys, so I was pretty excited.

After my first listen to a few songs, I came to the conclusion that it was good, but not really great....

however, at work last night I listened to it twice, all the way through...Back to back.

And it's fucking awesome.

A mixture of some of the best and meaningful songwriting I've ever heard as well as some insane face melting guitar riffs.

I'm not going to be one of those people who posts song lyrics every other entry, but just read this:

"The following views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the prevailing order, who prostrate to their naked kings, tailor the seams of funeral shrouds on foreign shores, but shed no tears for the dead of the endless list of informal wars- the justification for will be spelled out coming soon to a screen near you.
I'm feeling less hopeful and so much less human as my days are reduced to settling for revenge and wondering whatever happened to the kid that pledged "first do no harm"? Chalk it up to an overdeveloped sense of unbridled vengeance.
Somebody fed me too much New Hope for breakfast, cuz as the empire preemptively strikes back (again) and the voice of Luke's father baritones "this is CNN", I recall Arab kids slaughtered, reduced to "sand-niggers" and "rag-heads." And now I'm expected to mourn dead Americans? The executioner's willing citizens? I'm so sorry and I'm trying to think it though, but when the chickens come home to roost and hand-delivered matching funeral urns to the bully that never learns I could've swore I heard a chorus rise and fall wishing them so many more unhappy returns.
But in every war waged, only kings emerge unscathed."

- from the song "name and address with
held"
Most songs I've heard are not written like this, and every single song on the disc strikes me as incredible in some way. To think they can pack that much into a 3 or 4 minute song is just incredible, which is probably why it took me a few listens to discover the brilliance and emotion.

This is one of the most powerful albums I've ever listened to.

It also tends to either fill me with a rage or complete sadness to the situation and the world we live in.

I guess that is the point, I think it's why these guys do what they do.

Buy it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Propagandhi are an alright band in small dosses. I may pick up their new release simply for the brutality of the guitar. I remember having a discussion with someone it might of been Dan, which arrised this query "How the hell does that guy play guitar that fast" Some of their lyrics are awesome, I really enjoy bands that take the time to give a shit about whats going around in the world and give it to you in such a blunt honest way. I may not always aggree with them but i like their music which is all that counts.

8:57 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Yeah, I remember talking about that with you. Some of the stuff the play is insane, considering it's just one guitarist.

And they certainly are blunt. They'll mix opinion with fact very often, but it's why I enjoy it.

11:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home