Thursday, August 11, 2005

Nerding out.

A few days ago Ryan and I picked up Battlefield 2. I thought it might run on my system, just very poorly.
Turns out, it would installed fine, load up fine and then freeze on the main menu.

I'm sure it's a video card thing, as I'm under the minimum specs, there.

I think the game has insanely high requirements. It really doesn't look all that much better than games like Half-life 2 or Doom 3, which I can run smoothly enough, and I've heard many a person complaining about having to upgrade just to play this game. Sure, it's full of huge maps and LOTS of action, but still.

Anyway, needless to say, it got me looking for a new video card, but I scrapped that idea and realized I just want a whole new rig. I put one together at Dell that was quite a beast. The final price was $3,700. A little too much for me.

I selected a lower level model (still a beast) and customized a few parts and got it to a decent price of $2,600. Still a lot of money, but I don't think I'll have to upgrade for very long time.

2 GB of ram and a 256 MB video card is pretty much all I need to stay in the game. Considering I'm on 512 MB of RAM and a 64 MB card at the moment, the offer sounds enticing as hell. It literally makes me drool.

I did decide to hold off a bit longer, though. In order to find out what I can sell my current PC for (I've got some people interested).

I'd also like to get my other debts out of the way before I take on any more. Seems like the smart thing to do.

Knowing me I'll end up buying it in a couple hours anyway.

7 Comments:

Blogger D. said...

I went right to the XPS, which is their "gaming system".

but the truth is, stick a decent video card and a good amount of RAM in any of their models and you're good to go.

1:39 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I run my Battlefield on a maxed out XPS. That thing is teh shit. But my stupid sister downloaded a worm that has eaten its guts out, so by the time you get your computer, I'll be able to join you online for some squad action. I play medic though, so don't expect any flashy gun-specs.

Oh, and when you get it. Do yourself a favor and get FireFox, ASAP. Just visiting the Dell default site on IExplorer on a new Dell give you the cursory 10 pieces of spyware.

8:21 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

haha jesus budy, if i did that i would be sick for weeks.

The same thing happened to me when i bought silent hill 3, i figured my cpu would run it. It installed but when i tried to load the game it froze my computer and told me i didnt have enough juice or something. Needless to say i remedied that game really fast, i gave it to you!

Thats why i try to stay away from computer games you have to literally upgrade every 6 months just keep playing, where as with my gamecube, i bought it 4 years ago, and it still plays the new stuff.

meh on mac :)

8:27 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

no meh! hehe but I understand. They're just not gaming machines.

9:14 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Say that to my brother who runs Diablo II through the RAM alone. Macs are deadly efficient machines when it comes to running the older games.

11:27 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Yeah. can They have some real guts.

It's more about compatibility, though. Sure, Blizzard is good with Mac support...but A LOT of other developers are not.

Raine, how much RAM does your rig have? I've been told by some people that the difference between 2 GB and 1 GB isn't all that much, performance wise.

8:14 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I think I'm running a gig of RAM. That's plenty for most things. The only time you'll want that extra gig installed, is if you're rendering stuff. I have a feeling you don't do a lot of 3D generation, so I'd say just stick with the 1 gig.

5:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home