Thursday, July 28, 2005

"Chick Flick!"

I've been wondering if I'm a wimp for actually wanting to see Shopgirl. Maybe it's because Jason Schwartzman is a great actor, or because they used an Explosions in the sky song in the trailer, but for whatever reason, it really interests me. Which is scary, because it almost sounds like a piece of crap, dime a dozen romatic comedy.

Truth is though, movies about love and relationships don't have to be crap. Love is a theme we can all relate to and I think this movie might just portray it in a decent enough way for it to not suck balls.

People just need to stop casting Hugh Grant and Richard Gere and calling it a "feel good romantic comedy".

Christ. The words "romantic" and "comedy" should never have been put together anyway.

Be smart about it. Make a movie people can get emotional over, make it beautiful, make it something they can FEEL. Just don't make it generic and dumb.

See Buffalo '66 for something that is all of the above, minus the generic and dumb. Absolutely brilliant film.

Anyway, I'll see Shopgirl eventually, I'm sure. Here's hoping it can be a smart, touching "love" film that isn't complete shit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Buffalo '66 is the best.



But still...all I can about Richard Gere is mmmmm...

So sexy.



As much as I love chick flicks, I do agree with you. Most of them are pretty generic, and it's a bit sad. (But I still eat them up.)

10:52 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I think he's all for romance.

It just can't be TYPICAL.

Because typical is boring and dumb.

He'd rather receive a napkin in the mail than some flowers, see.

11:21 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I never did mind romantic movies. Movies about Love are fine, they are great, they can be awesome.

But like I said, those crappy ass "romantic comedies" can suck it. they are crap.

Steph is right. Typical is boring, typical is dead but is still getting used because people keep seeing the goddamn things.

And this movie could really be the exact same, who knows. But it reminds me slightly of "lost in translation" for some reason, and that is another great movie, so my eyes and my mind remain open.

11:25 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Exactly, another great example.

12:47 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Garden State was fun.

7:16 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I think they should make a love movie about some guy, finding some girl, and then a deep and ripping storyline follows.

That guy is Jimmy Gnecco, songwriter and singer for "Ours". I think he would be a great emo actor.

8:57 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Romantic comedies are pure shit. One awesome movie with love a theme, would be "punch drunk love" classic, i havent laughed so hard in a long time.

12:33 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Okay, I keep getting mixed reviews on that one, so I think I'm going to have to rent it. I'll do it tonight. Dan, I think you'd DIE (from sympathetic frustration) if you ever saw the piddly-ass "selection" I have to work from.

5:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home