Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kindle


I guess I should update this thing despite not really having anything at all to say.

I got a Kindle using some of the birthday money I received, because I'd been interested in one for a while.

Despite there now being more alternatives to the Amazon make these days, from what I've seen and read, you'd be hard pressed to top the newer models.

All I knew is that I didn't want something like the Nook Colour, because what's the point? if you're looking to read books on something resembling a tablet, buy a tablet.

And for that reason I knew I wanted an E ink display and is the first time I've ever seen one in person and it is absolutely gorgeous.

...Maybe that's a real weird thing to say about a screen such as this, but I was pretty blown away by how precisely it looks like a printed book. It's fucking dead on and crisp as hell. No glare or any of that shit.


Also surprising (despite reading all the info) is just how small and thin the thing is. Great design.

I guess I mainly wanted one in order to boost the time I spend reading, and also much like digital music or any other digital media, it's just incredibly handy and cool to have an entire collection of goods you bought at your fingertips.

I'm also not huge on owning stacks of books which, once read, really just take up space. There are obviously exceptions like sweet ass art books and other photo filled things.

Of course it now means that since buying a new book is a few clicks away, that I'll probably amass an even larger backlog of shit I am interested in, but seem to have no time for...damn you, instant gratification.

It's almost too easy to browse and buy shit, and (again surprisingly to me) incredibly fast. I always thought Ebook files would be larger in size, but they are tiny and took like 5 seconds to download.

I also have this sick urge to double dip and buy some books I own (but haven't read) so I can have them on this thing. What's that about?

I think I'll make a rule from here to not buy anymore until I finish whatever one I am currently reading.

I've got three novels right now, but the first I downloaded was Neuromancer, a book I've always wanted to read because it has inspired so many other forms of media and just sounded so damn cool.

It's fucking great so far.

Anyway, I'm in love with the Kindle. great purchase.

Nothing else to say, really.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Awesome. I'm so glad you love it! I think you'll get a lot of use out of it too.

E Ink is undoubtedly kinder to the eyes.

It is WAY slimmer than I thought it would be. Smaller in general, actually...I had some idea in my head that they were all pretty large, for some reason.

10:52 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Digital ink is the shit man.

That's why I'm reworking all my stuff to be e-book friendly. I've been devouring books with my Sony e-reader since Christmas time, and I honestly think it's the best way to read.

If you liked Neuromancer, I'd highly recommend Diamond Age as well.

1:38 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

You know what else I love about it...and maybe this is because I'm a weirdo, but I love seeing the little progress bar at the bottom grow as I read a book, complete with a percentage of how much I've read.

I often close print books after a session and estimate how much more I have to go.

Yeah. Weird.

Diamond Age sounds great, will certianly put it on my "to read" list.

I also want to read the rest of the "sprawl trilogy" because Neuromancer is so damn good thus far.

If you want to send me some of your stuff to see how it looks on a kindle, I'll read it for sure.

Unless yours is pretty much the same, then I guess there's no point...unless it's done, then send me stuff anyway cause I'll read it.

5:04 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Haha. It's not done final draft yet, and I need a cover picture for each story.

I've got two prototypes of Caymen done up in e-book format. They both look like complete shit so far. The formatting from both .docx and .pdf doesn't carry over properly, so random chapter heads will be ALLCAPS in 90-point bold font. And then three chapters will go by without a single break or header.

It also tends to change fonts every chapter, which is annoying.

But they both flow properly once on the reader, which is incredibly cool to see. Nobody in the industry has really caught on yet, but I can put my journalistic training for layout and design to work on these things, and do everything an expensive publishing house could do.

Really, we're toying around with the death of an industry here.

And I love it.

11:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home