Wednesday, March 02, 2011

I dunno. Random stuff.

I guess in order to break the posts about games streak, I should talk about the new Mogwai album.

Upon first listening I thought it was great. I've since listened to it several more times and now hold it an even higher esteem. In fact, I consider it a far better album than "The hawk is howling" and "Mr. Beast". easily.

Obviously that's just my opinion, but I've read a few mixed comments (just browsing the Last FM page) and I don't quite understand. This shit is dialed in.

I would agree that the mastering/mixing seems different than previous efforts, but I'm not a HUGE audiophile, so whatever. You get used to it.

Favourites for me include Mexican grand prix, Rano Pano, How to be a werewolf and George square thatcher death party....but really I could just list them all.

Mexican grand prix for having a bit of a different sound. Play it as loud as possible at all times.

Rano Pano is quite honestly musical perfection to me. When those drums kick in? forget about it. Crunchy, heavy and loud. Turn that shit up too, your ears will thank me. Almost my number one Mogwai song, for real.

So yeah. They continue to make incredible music, which isn't surprising. Just awesome.

The other day I got "Sucker Punch: The art of the film" from Amazon, since I had a gift card, and it was on sale for cheap if you pre-ordered.



It's basically a huge hardcover book with over 250 high quality pages of INRCREDIBLE sketches, renders, costumes, set design layout and photos (and beautiful women) that is just an absolute marvel to flip through.

I'm constantly blown away by how much work goes into the things I love, most of it to probably never truly be appreciated, and that's why I love books like this. To help appreciate those things.



Maybe it's just me. I love looking at this kind of shit and could probably sit there soaking it all in for a good amount of time, and I'm sure I will.

You might think it kind of odd that I got it before the film is even out, but come on, one thing I knew after watching 20 seconds of the trailer is that if nothing else, this movie is going to be an absolute feast for the eyes.

The shitty part is that the package was damaged on the way to me, and so is the book (you can even see it in the first photo) and that really chaps my ass. A replacement is on the way, but it still makes me mad how Amazon thinks their job of wrapping a bit of thin cardboard around a huge and HEAVY hardcover book is sufficient. Fuckin'...some asshole off ebay would have packaged it better than that, you chumps.

It's alright for smaller books and DVD's, but come on, grow a fucking brain.

I'm back at work, or at least...sort of.

They are scheduling me for really odd shifts. I seem to work a night, get one off, work another, get another off.

That bothers me. It throws my schedule out of whack and I feel like a bag of shit already. I think they do a great deal (including scheduling me on restricted shifts) just to piss me off, and I really can't understand why.

Even in my hatred (which comes and goes) toward the job, I do it well and I show up all the time. Why I'm the asshole, I have no idea.

We'll see where it goes from here.

I have nothing else to say.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

I honestly didn't care much for the new Mogwai album on first listen.

Thankfully, I like Mogwai enough have given it a second listen, and I'm glad I did.

I wouldn't say it's better than Mr. Beast, but definitely a lot better than The Hawk is Howling. At this point it's purely academic though, as any one of their last five or so albums are entirely listenable at the drop of a hat.

You're Lionel Richie is currently my favorite on the album. The progression just says to me "Back in my day, I was a real bad-ass. Looks like my days have come back."

12:42 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

The new Mogwai album is great. Maybe its just me and maybe i tend to lean more towards mainstream but "San Pedro" is my favorite. Reminds me a lot of "The sun smells to loud" I love that shit!!!

Sucker Punch looks great, i love art books like that. I have one, full of drawings Tim Burton has done, most of them just sketches and stuff on scrap paper. I like seeing how something like that progress into a film. Interesting stuff.

8:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home