Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Planet Earth.





I've wanted to watch this series (BBC version) since it was first produced, but never have. I almost bought the DVD set several times and, finally, a few weeks ago grabbed it on Bluray since it was on sale.

I proceeded to watch it and be in absolute awe.

The scenes and shots captured in this documentary are nothing short of amazing, and that's no exaggeration. It's incredible. The amount of time and dedication put into this thing were huge and it paid off extraordinarily.

"71 cameramen and women filmed in 204 locations in 62 countries on all seven continents, spending more than 2000 days in the field" says wikipedia




If there ever was a project more suited to selling people on High definition video, this is surely it. Absolutely mind blowing.

It's one of the most beautiful things I've seen. I found out that I could watch a great white leap out of the water all day long and not get bored of it, or watch a polar bear slide down a hill, or see a river form, or volcanoes erupt or...you get the point. It's extensive without dragging (not that I think it could, because I still craved more after the 11 episodes were over)

The episode focusing on caves is probably my favourite. I can't believe some of the stuff I saw.

It reinforces the fact that we live on a truly amazing planet and makes me glad to be alive. There's so much beauty.

It also depresses me, I have to admit, seeing what humans have done earth, and will continue to do without learning.

It makes me downright sad, actually. The series does a remarkable job at making you feel almost like an alien from another planet looking in, and I think that's part of why it's so depressing. Cause eventually, you go hop in your car and go to work or something and it's just...gross.

This documentary should be forced viewing for every single person alive.

If you've already seen it, you probably agree.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Seeing it would probably just reinforce my agreement.

Too bad I don't have a bluray player so I could bug you to borrow it!

10:33 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Stack that one onto the "Trevor and Tracy borrow list" haha

Sounds amazing. I spend a lot of time watching Discovery Channel lately. Tracy bugs me and says im turning into my Dad. I just find stuff like that and history fascinating, especially Germany for some reason.

7:49 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

I can bug you to borrow it...........

7:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home