Wednesday, July 28, 2010

STJ10 update: Drayton Valley.


Stopped for Gas and a stretch




This was a good ride. I always love cruising south down 770 and this time just carried on toward Drayton Valley. Stuck behind logging trucks in construction zones is not fun, but the few big curves and hills made up for it.

Upon entering the town it looked pretty much like a gas station and a few other places, but I carried on since I was curious and tried to get myself a bit lost. In the process I realized there were actually quite a few nice looking sights and it was much bigger than I thought.

I think I've been through a few times when I was younger, but that was years ago.

Not a bad place, I think I even spotted a movie theater. Sweet.

It also gave me a chance to try these bad boys out:



The TCX Airtech GORE-TEX touring boots

When I first got my license I wore some leather boots I bought to do the training course because they felt good and were much safer. Eventually, I started thinking they were too much of a hassle to put on (that, and lost them in the fire) so I'd been wearing my shoes ever since.

The other issue is that when riding a bike for any amount of time your feet (at least mine) get hot and it's not fun.

I read about these boots in Cycle World and how they are incredibly breathable yet still waterproof.

I can verify the breathable claim is 100% accurate, because holy shit, my feet stayed cool. They are very comfortable and hey, they make you look like a bit of a robot, so that's a plus in my book.

Oh yeah, and the safety factor. Anything that covers your ankle is probably gonna save your leg if you happen to take a tumble.

The only downside is that it just takes some getting used to since you have to position your feet a bit different to get at the shifter and that when not riding, and because of how high they cover, you end up walking like a Frankenstein creation unless you actively tell your mind "it's alright to walk normally, your ankles won't snap" but that's the way it is with any riding boot, I imagine.

Also the fact that they were a bitch to find in a size that fit. I ended up having to order online and get one size higher than I wanted, but I actually enjoy more wiggle room in my footwear than the average person, so whatever. Main thing is that they feel good while riding, and they sure as fuck do.

And that was my impromptu review.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

A truly amusing impromptu review. hehe...

I'm glad the boots are working out!

And that you're still going to various towns :)

7:57 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Been there a few times, mostly with Neil though buying Ian TYson cds at said gas station in picture haha while going fishing in the river under the bridge there.

We visited Geoff once there too, didn't look like to bad a place.

Morinville when i get back?

8:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home