Sunday, May 30, 2010

Shaving fun time.

First off, I feel I am finally on the mend from whatever awful cold/bug kicked my ass the last week or so. No more sore throat and I am coughing up less and less vile substance as the days go on. Still have to blow my nose every 30 seconds and my head often feels like it's stuffed with nothing but cotton (or cement, it varies) but I'll take it.

Secondly, many months ago I purchased a straight razor shaving set. Nothing extravagant, just a $40 set to give it a whirl. However, extrenuating circumstances didn't allow me to try it at the time.

However, now shaved of my refugee beard, I figured I'd give it a shot.






you see:

-Shaving cup
-Puck of shaving soap (put in cup)
-Brush
-Leather strop (for...uh, stropping the blade)
-two razors

Not pictured: Honing stone, cause I forgot about it.

I read about shaving with one of these and it is pretty astounding how many tips and little intricacies there are for things like getting a proper lather, holding the razor, maintaining the blade (honing/stropping) and so on.

Many people seem to have this down to a fucking ART. That's truly what it seems like.

I more or less took a bit of that advice and just jumped in. Aside from the soap making my face feel like it was on fire, it was actually FUN. Something that shaving never is to me.

The one problem I had is that I don't think I took the time to lather that shit up good enough, because it dried pretty quickly on my skin after applying with the brush, much like a layer of soap would do.

I did NOT slit myself wide open, but I will admit to avoiding my neck area (for the time being!) and using the ol' mach 3 on that. I will also admit to going over my entire face with it, just in case.

For a first try it was pretty successful...but really, a success would have just been not cutting myself at all.

Next try I'll probably just take my time even more, and perhaps use the strop to make the blade feel a bit sharper before hand (which is kind of a scary thought). I've been watching videos on doing just that and it seems simple enough and makes a pretty big difference, apparently

if anyone out there has any tips or experiences I'd love to hear 'em.
(this it the part where I remember that a total of 4 people read this blog and then hang my head)

3 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Fuck man that's hardcore.

I have never been. I wanted to for our wedding. Go into a old school barber (spelling?) and get a straight shave professionally done, but something about a blade that close to my jugular weirds me out a bit. Still might do it though when I'm down in Vancouver.

Does it feel like mach 3 when it graces your skin?

11:50 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

It feels really, really strange to me. I guess just because it is so different.

I think mine wasn't as sharp as it should be so it felt a bit rough but that's also probably because I was a bit nervous as well as the lather I had. It took a few passes to get a good shave.

I've also heard about how it takes a few shaves to "train" your hair for such a method. whether that's bullshit or not, I have no idea.

As for safety I think as long as you don't try to rush the job it's pretty safe.

Also never move it horizontally, but that's obvious.

I still agree, though, it's kind of weird and scary, which is why I didn't do the whole thing. I would totally let a barber go nuts though.

if he slices your jugular, it's his fault!

12:44 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Maybe try shave OIL?

Also, hot.

I want to watch you.

11:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home