Monday, April 05, 2010

bike post 1622

Went for a ride today and as soon as I left the driveway I could feel the bike sputtering/hesitating a bit, but I thought nothing much of it.

Once I got going a bit more I could feel it acting real strangely and noticed the RPM's dropping from 5K straight down to zero and then flicking back up again really randomly, causing the bike to sort of "cut out" for a split second.

I tried to see if I could figure out if it was only doing it at a certain speed or what, but couldn't find any clues as to what the fuck was causing it, so I rode on.

As I often do, I went a far greater distance than I intended, and so I stopped on one of those roadside turnouts to stretch a bit.

I ended up standing around/sitting on the bike for a good 15 minutes probably, just because it's peaceful being in the middle of nowhere with only the wind to keep you company.

Then I went to start it up again and hear nothing but a weak CLICK which makes my heart sink instantly, so I turn the ignition off/on again, push the starter...CLICK.

I'm slightly worried, but kind of amused as I take the seat off and poke around and it becomes obvious that one of the battery connectors is really loose and that I'm a moron who didn't put my tool kit back under the seat, so I tighten it as best I can by hand and it fires up, thank christ.

I'm hoping the shitty battery connection was the cause of the tachometer acting up as well, because on the ride home I had no problems and I desperately don't want to have a serious problem brewing. but we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

In terms of new bike thoughts, I have to just say I have absolutely fallen in love with the look of this bike:

The KTM 990 Super Duke R

I think in general, naked bikes always look insanely cool because they have this sort of "thrown together" look that I adore, but this one is even cooler because the KTM dudes obviously have awesome designers. Look at that shit.

Alas, I don't think I'll be getting it due to price (not outrageous by any means, just more than I can afford on a bike), and the fact that the other Suzuki I've also been looking at is probably a smarter buy since it's a great "do everything" bike and suits my kind of riding more, but somewhere down the line, I think I'll want one of these so bad I'll cave.

And then there's the fact that I've also been tossing around the idea of riding my current bike at least one more full season and using the money I have saved now to pay off other debts (some might call it being responsible) and such...and then save up again for NEXT summer, but I don't know. Depends on how much I could get for this one, I guess. We'll see how it all shakes down, I suppose.


7 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

That does look ace man.

Im trying to convince Trace that a new bike is in order for me as soon as my car is paid off but i think a house tends to be more of a priority here.

You should get a Honda, those are awesome and built like tanks. The CBR's look pretty sexy. If i were to get a sport bike this one would be it

http://www.honda.ca/MCPE/Motorcycle/Models/ModelOverview?L=E&Type=Sport&Year=2010&Model=CBR1000RA10

6:52 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I think if I chose a Honda, I'd spring for a VFR because they seen more versatile than a CBR, and I've read a bit about them.

I can't really afford a $19,000 motorcycle, sadly.

For the money, The Suzuki GSX650F still remains one of the best values I've seen.

7:09 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

You do know you don't have to buy brand new gently used is just as good.

6:19 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Yeah, but I've browsed the used market a few times and the bike I am looking into has only been around since 2008 and it's virtually impossible to find pre-owned a this point.

That KTM seems pretty rare, too, just based on a quick look.

It's easy to find super sports for pretty cheap, but I don't want one of those, and 90% of the time they are owned by fucksticks who ride the shit out of them and don't treat them right anyway, so fuck that.

6:53 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

We work for guys that build and rebuild bikes. So if i ever buy one ill be going that route. Brand new is to expensive for what you get, no bike is worth that much.

5:10 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Well, I don't know about that.

Buying new has plenty of advantages but a lot of it depends on what make/model you're getting and how much riding you do.

5:20 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Whatever turns your crank.

8:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home