Monday, March 15, 2010

Forever.



I lower the choke, turn the key, hit the start button and hear the engine struggle. She's been sitting for far too long.

I give it a moment before I try again, this time I hear it starting to fire up. I twist the throttle and hear the familiar grunt that I've grown to love as she comes to life once again.

As if waking from a five month coma, she screams.

I feel a surge of excitement deep within me as I strap my helmet on.

It gets more intense when I fasten my gloves and then hop on, gripping the bars gently.

The kick stand is up, first gear is engaged.

I creep up the driveway slowly.

Shifting into second gear, I avoid piles of sand, mud and pebbles on the subdivision road, smiling the entire time.

I exit slowly and meander down the road a small distance before I shift down to first as I come upon the stop sign that keeps me from the open highway.

Coming to a stop I put my feet down. A few cars pass and then I make my move.

I let the RPM's climb as I click through the transmission. I feel it now more than ever.

I ride until my legs and hands are numb from the bitter wind and eventually stop on the side of the road and feel the warmth of the sun on me once again.

I shiver as I look onward, contemplating how far I should go, almost pushing common sense to the back of my mind.

Sometimes, life is awesome.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm so glad.

12:25 a.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

Awesome.

11:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home