Monday, March 01, 2010

Olympics and hockey.

I know it's hip to protest and hate the Olympic games and make a big deal over them, but I'll level with you.

I enjoyed them. I often do. The winter ones, anyway. Don't give a shit about summer.

If you asked me if they are worth all the effort and money to put on, I'd probably tell you no, followed by a "but who cares?"

It's easy to turn on the TV and then end up sitting there for two hours watching I never planned to watch because it is fun, and that's what is cool to me. Here are some facts:

- Ski cross is far cooler than snowboard cross.
- Curling is still awesome despite what anyone says.
- There are a lot of hot women athletes. Especially the Swiss, RAWR.
- Biathlon is awesome as fuck. Skiing and shooting? COME ON, BAD. ASS.
- Speed Skating is incredible because I could never in a million years do it.


Obviously the big draw for me, though, is the hockey.

The entire thing was awesome. I love watching the best players in the world just go for it. I love watching teams like Slovakia defeat the supposedly mighty Russians as much as Canada beating the USA, it's all quality shit to me.

The gold medal game couldn't have been any better. If it had been a blowout either way, it would have been boring. But overtime? YES PLEASE

I've found it funny how people who don't really care about the game suddenly become super fans cheering their brains out.

Is it some weird sense of patriotism that I just don't get?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more people seeing how amazing a game of hockey truly can be, and it's bizarre (in a fun way) to talk hockey with people who normally despise it...but I just don't know why it has to happen only when a gold medal or the Stanley cup is on the line.

Now, the majority of Americans, despite their team exceeding all expectations, will go back to not giving a shit about the game (aside from the obvious hockey cities), and so will a great deal of people around the world, in fact.

I guess that's just how it is. It's kinda sad though.

Just let it be known that even the most "meaningless" NHL game provides me with an amazing amount of entertainment, and I think a ton of people would agree if they gave it a chance.

I've loved the shit since I was a kid and my parents sat me down and had me watch games with them.

Oilers hockey especially, and yes, even with the lackluster season they've had. It is still very fun to watch, and since the trade deadline is on Wednesday, I hope they make some big changes.

If the team finishes last (they are right on track!), they get a shot at drafting one of the best players in the world, which is a huge step to rebuilding the team with young talent. A process that takes a few years, but many a team have gone through it, and it's about time the Oilers did just that because wow...what a mess.

Short version:

- Yay team Canada/olympics
- Yay the NHL is back after that lengthy break.
- Oilers will rise again....one day!
- Watch more hockey, cunts.

Time for a motherfuckin' nap, yo.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

The Olympics are cool especially the winter ones.

The amount of money and shit spent on them isn't, especially when your in talks of bankrupting a city for a fucking sports event, that's just dumb to me

Its patriotism is what i liked, Its your country your cheering for. I watched all of Team Canada's games, i loved every second of it. Watching it made me like hockey, and proud to be a Canadian.

I dont give a fuck about the oilers and probably wont, but watching Canadians battling the world and coming out number one that was cool.

I guess i have to wait another 4 years to get into it again, unless the oilers can do something to pull. Ill try again to get into the Oilers with my renewed enthusiasm in the game.

6:13 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

I agree about most of your post. I actually really enjoy the Olympics and had become used to getting up in the morning and turning it on. I liked most of the sports, it was entertaining. I did enjoy the gold medal game because it was a patriotic thing and the OT definitely added to the excitement. I definitely got tired of the hockey updates on facebook from people who normally don't care about the sport but if those posters cheered for Canada (via fb) through the whole Olympics then it didn't bother me.

8:30 a.m.  
Blogger apples said...

It's hip to hate the Olympics? I've never heard such a thing! I think my being Norwegian might be the reason for that...

As for the money.. doesn't most of it go right back to businesses in the area?

3:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home