Sunday, March 07, 2010

Anything but iPod

So, my Zune has been out of action for a few weeks now and I'm starting to really feel it.

Not having anything to listen to at work aside from loud and annoying co-workers is driving me up the wall.

I did some looking around for a new one a bit ago and quickly found out that nobody had them in stock anymore, so I dug a little deeper and discovered that pretty much all Zune products are discontinued in Canada.

Now, that gets a big "what the fuck!?" from me. Some say it's because Microsoft wants to phase out the 80 and 120 gig models in favour of the 16 and 32 zune HD...but that thing isn't even available in Canada, and isn't set to be for any time soon...so none of this makes sense.

Did it sell so bad that they realized they should just cut their losses and haul ass out of Canada, or what?

I started looking into alternatives and thanks to this site found out about a lot of cool and underrated looking players.

The problem is, 99% of the ones on the market these days are 4, 8, 16 or 32 gigs at the most. I know it's because they don't use Hardrives in them and so the price skyrockets on anything larger than that...but truth be told a 32 gig player is absolutely useless to me.

The whole point of having an mp3 player is so that I can have my entire music collection with me at all times. When I had a 20 gig iPod I HATED having to sync only certain albums and playlists.

So what's the fucking point of spending extra money just because a player has a fancy touchscreen. I hate this shit. Give me a boxy looking thing with a clear and large screen and I'm happy, so long as it has enough storage space.

The Zune 80 was perfect for me (and came with those awesome premium headphones the 120 lacked). I waited for months to get my hands on one, and even though it crapped out on me, I liked it so much I was willing to go buy another one, but now I apparently can't.

A few days ago I got a $30 4 gig piece of crap from Wal-mart just so I could have SOMETHING for work, but it really is a piece of slow, cumbersome shit. I'm not just complaining for the sake of it.

So now what?

Either I hit up ebay and pay extra for a Zune that is now "hard to find" or wait for something better.

I shan't be getting an iPod though. How could I live with myself?

5 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Yeah i feel your pain man.

When my zune went dead in the summer, i looked everywhere for it neg dice on that front.

My only advice is go to the zune website get the address and free Mail Pass and send it in for repair. If its fucked they will give you a new one, you might have to pay for it but its straight from Microsoft, or they might repair it for free because of defect.

I had mine ready to box and send in this summer, when you told me to let it charge for a while so i left it plugged in overnight and it works like a charm now.

You might have to give into apple, i dont like that idea but atleast enough people and stores support getting repair and sell the damn thing.

9:32 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

also man doesent your cell phone have expansions for music. I used to use my cell all the time as a mp3 player before i got my zune. it only held something like 300 songs but better than nothing.

9:34 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I keep telling youuuuuu!

(This is where I love you but am a wee bit exasperated.)

Buy a Zune from a US site and, have it sent to me, I will mail it. And you can ask Emma, I will actually mail it promptly to you. I will even write this in blood.

OR allow ME to buy you one and you can PayPal the money to me, or whatever.

Is my general slow-ass-ness in regard to shipping really worse than Apple?

5:41 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

There you go Dan problem solved, its kind of nice knowing Steph :) I think trace had her mail some shirts up for Dylan if I'm not mistaken. I vouch for her.

Its weird how that never crossed my mind either until she wrote it ahha. Much better than my microsoft idea.

9:41 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, he has reason to think I would get it, sure, but take 364 days to get it in the mail to him. I am just awful about getting to the post office.

I have a package all ready for him and it's still in my room...

BUT I SWEAR I WOULD MAIL THIS PRONTO.

1:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home