Thursday, March 04, 2010

Other M

EDIT: This rant is also posted on Nintopia because I thought it would be fun to provide the first update in, like, 4 years. Long live the topia!

So Nintendo decides to partner up with Team Ninja (Ninja Gaiden, DOA) to produce a new Metroid Game.

The Game is shown off briefly at E3 last year, people go pretty crazy.

No new info is available until a Nintendo Media event a few weeks ago. A playable demo is available behind closed doors. Members of the press get to play it. Impressions are largely positive.

What's really known is that this game is a large departure from all the other games in the series. It's said to be highly cinematic, relies on voice acting and a story the likes of which Metroid fans have never seen.

Then they show off a newer CG trailer and the complaining begins.





What makes this so intriguing is that it is SO not like Nintendo. A short teaser with no real gameplay? That's unheard of from these guys...and I love it.

The game is said to be more about Samus as a person, featuring flashbacks, character interaction and so on. During the game she speaks in an inner-monologue, revealing story bits and so on.

People are worried they might somehow ruin the series with this drastic approach.

I don't. I truly think it's best to look at this game as something totally different from all the others before it.

Really, how can anyone not be excited about a game focusing on giving Samus more personality and fleshing her out as a protagonist. In the two trailers alone she's probably got more character than all the previous games combined, and I dig that.

She's also got a VOICE and will apparently speak a whole lot and that also excites me.

Is it possible this game could end up being a steaming pile of shit? Of course. There's always a chance, but you know what? After playing all three of the “prime” games (and loving the shit out of them) I have to admit I am ready for a new take on the series, especially one that focuses more on character development because Samus Aran is one of my favourite characters of all time (right up there with mega man) and I can't help but be exited to see more of her, regardless of what developer is behind it or what direction they take it in.

And anyway, this is still a NINTENDO game, and I don't think Nintendo is going to let anyone fuck up a Metroid game all that much.

People need to calm down, keep an open mind and most of all, just shut up until they can play it.

Or keep complaining about stupid shit, like how her HAIR IS TOO SHORT OMG. Idiots.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I give this post 2 thumbs up.

6:06 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

My only real complaint is it looks very... um. Very...

Japanese?

I don't know. I would've thought that a woman who can do a triple roll while jumping ten feet in the air would be slightly more confident in her abilities as a person.

Although I wholeheartedly agree with fleshing Samus out as a character rather than just some girl in tank armor. I also picked up on the Metroid Fusion tie-in, which is a definite plus.

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

That's a more valid complaint, and one I'd agree on, but then, Team Ninja is a Japanese developer, after all.

I think I'll get used to it.

Also, as I understand it this is "Young Samus" only seen in flashbacks and such, but during the game you play as older, badass varia suit Samus.

It's the mix and story between the two that gets me excited.

IN MY PANTS.

2:16 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It's the mix and story between the two that gets me excited.

IN MY PANTS.


And then I swallow (and nearly choke on) a whole cheerio.

haha...

3:00 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

It looks japanariffic

9:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home