Saturday, May 16, 2009

TIEM 2 FRAG SOME NOOBS WITH XTREME POWER

My mouse is on the fritz and has been for some time, so...

Last week I was out and about on the hunt for a new one and stopped at a few stores, touched a few of them and really found nothing that suited me.

So I did some research and eventually ended up ordering a Razer Mamba , the self proclaimed king of WIRELESS GAMING MICE. I didn't order directly from them though. fuck that.

The thing cost $160 before shipping, which is expensive for a mouse, but not THAT expensive for a high end one.

Even so, I was a little skeptical of my purchase when I finally did take the plunge.

But I got it yesterday and have been messing about with it today and can officially say that itis AWESOME.

Firstly, not only is it the most comfortable mouse I've ever had my dirty hands on, but it is smoooooth as silk.

You can set it to up to 5600 DPI, which is absolutely absurd, at its default 1800 I noticed instantly how much smoother and faster it is than my old one.

I had them both going for some time and the difference truly is night and day.

I'm still getting used to it, and often it feels a little too sensitive like it is picking up too much of my accidental left/right movement when I want to go up (I notice this in games only, obviously) which I think is also part due to the fact that I also need a decent mouse pad.

It's also badass looking, like it came from the future to kill other inferior mice.

Also includes other features like being able to unplug the dock and stick the usb cable into the mouse, making it a wired mouse and charging it in the process, onboard memory for macros and such, switching sensitivity on the fly (which is cool while in game)

Unboxing the thing was both fun and a complete chore. It comes in its little glass (okay, plastic) box atop and pedestal with little drawers underneath it containing the goodies. The only thing missing was a fucking alarm that goes off if you do it wrong.

Definately premium packaging for a “premium mouse”

So was it worth the nearly $190 total that it cost me?

It's hard to say as of yet. I imagine if they didn't package it like you just made the investment of your life, they could knock $30 off the damn price, but I guess that's part of the appeal for some people. As are all the LED lights, but whatever.

Really, it's like those mastercard (or is it Visa?) commercials to me, and the last line would read something like:

“Not wanting to throw your mouse against the wall in utter frustration every 2 minutes = priceless.

Now I can actually enjoy/finish Crysis, Left 4 Dead more Fallout and countless others.


Crappy photo that reminds me I need a camera still.

8 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Wow man, that seems a bit expensive for a MOUSE!!!

2:04 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I guess it kind of is, but so far it's worth it.

$160 really isn't that much, considering the only other wireless mouse that I saw at the stores that I even remotely liked was a $150 Logitech one.

And I can't use a wired mouse anymore. It just doesn't feel right.

3:33 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I ended up getting a logitech G5. I'm the exact opposite, in that I hate wireless mice for the same reasons I hate most wireless technology.

Though I'm glad the mamba works for you. Razer makes some top notch shit.

1:51 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Wireless anything is immensely annoying when it doesn't work right, if that's what you mean. I agree on that completely.

I read that in the past even the guys at Razer said they'd never make a wireless mouse because of that.

I sort of swore off logitech after my old mouse starting failing, but then I realized it worked fine for almost 2 years of heavy use I think, so I shouldn't complain.

I just honestly don't think Bluetooth is the way to go though with mice/keboards though, it seems far too unreliable. Even this keyboard (which came with the old mouse) lags/disconnects randomly.

So I am done with that.

It actually feels pretty nice in WIRED MODE (transformer sound here) as well, so everybody is a winner!

How much does a G5 cost? I was thinking that was the logitech one I was looking at, but I'm pretty sure it was wireless, so I guess not.

8:50 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

i still think that's retardly expensive.

I also don't go gay over computer games that much so maybe it isnt i dunno.

My one beef with mice back in the days was when the dust used to collect and stop the ball from moving, so i upgraded to a optical one, and have no beefs. i think it was like $30 or so.

I just cant fathom what a mouse company can do to improve a mouse so much that it costs that amount. Its a point and click device.

My mouse comes with all the sensitivity software and most games let you customize controls and save them in via profile for that specific game.

It does look cool though.

12:06 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I'm not going to deny that it is expensive, but if you are suggesting that there is no difference in a $30 mouse from Futureshop versus a high end one, then you are crazy.

I've tried and owned many and all of them were vastly different feeling and performing.

Didn't you notice a jump in awesomeness when you switched to an optical mouse from those old ball ones? it's like that, but eben better.

Also, a lot of the cost comes from the fact that wireless mice have always been known for lag and shitty quality...until now. so to me it was a good investment as long as it lasts me 3+ years (and it better)

I'm not really the hardcore computer gamer they market the thing to, but I play a decent amount and wanted something nice and frustration free.

12:56 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Yeah i agree with you, i just cant fathom myself spending that much on a "mouse", that's the part that makes me go jesus h Chris, it better do my laundry, clean the house, give me hand jobs, as well as point and click.

I've never used wireless technology so i cant really say.

In the end its a fucking mouse, point and click, move a cursor around.

im done.

5:31 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Trevor settle down it's just a mouse.

let's talk about mice some more.

mice mice mice.

ok, I'm done now as well.

6:16 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home