Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beautiful.




You know how every once in a while you see a film that just hits the right chords and everything comes together to make you feel like you just watched something really spectacular?

Wait...maybe you don't know that feeling, but I do. And it's the reason I watch so many movies and try to get so much out of them. It's the reason I research movies I've never heard of, or browse unknown films at HMV and so on.

Today I watched Let the Right one in and it gave me that feeling for the first time in a while.

You could say it's a vampire movie and leave it at that. You could also call it a film about a young boy coming of age and leave it at that.

Truth is it is both of those and so much more. I just don't feel like summarizing the film because it doesn't really do it justice.

You know how there are quotes from critics on DVD cases that are supposed to help sell a movie? (that is why they are there, right?) they range from calling this movie"horrific" and "the years most acclaimed horror film" which I guess I can't really argue...but the one that sums it up completely for me is one that simply says "Beautiful"

That is really all that needs to be said, because throughout the violence (it's not that extreme) and the other sinister themes it is truly a beautiful and touching story.

I also want to ask a rhetorical question, and that is why do Foreign films always tell a better story than North American films ever could?

Everything here is done so perfectly to me, from the opening credits to the framing of shots to very ending and the overall feel.

It hurts my mind to sit and think about if this story had been American cast/directed/filmed instead of Swedish.

I guess that's what "Twilight" was, though.

And so, I rest my case.

4 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

I heard it was good too.

Also, American films tend to suck because their writers have been told to make their works accessible to the greatest population possible.

In doing so, they're tailoring their stories to the largest demographic which is largely shallow people with no attention span, no culture, and no understanding of things beyond "Oooh shiny."

American movies are a very large part of the reason I don't watch many movies.

9:52 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

You are pretty much dead on, there.

But like everything there are exceptions, of course.

I just don't want it to sound like every single American film is shit, because obviously that isn't true...but it certainly seems to be getting that way. From the big studios, certainly.

It's sad when I ask people which films they are excited to see and all they can list are comic book movies.

films that aren't necessarily bad...but they are so fucking...safe.

I love my Dark Knight and Iron Man and Watchmen, but really, everything outside of a few titles is just generic shit.

Shit I don't mind watching sometimes, but don't feel anything for, you know?

The real question is why I had to wait months and months for a DVD release of this film because no company/theater wanted to have some balls and let it run.

Outside of somehow making it to the toronto film festival, I was screwed.

I guess that will continue to happen so long as people line up for shitty movies, though.

Because, remember, if people wanted to read, they'd pick up a book, never mind subtitles, those are killer!

8:26 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

It boils down to money. The majority of people only give a shit about explosions and special effects, (hence more money) but to actually tell a story that's more important than spanning the attention gap with bombs or pretty images, almost impossible.

I don't like reading subtitles either i probably fall into that category, but at the same time if its really good movie definitely it doesn't bother me.

Americans are too scared about change, where as foreign film is pretty much is everything American film isn't "Change".

Most of the time it works because its different, but there are times where it sucks worse then the next rambo part 9 version 3 movie.

except Ewe Boll his genius blows my mind.

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

wow i guess there are alot of Boll fans like myself.

http://www.petitiononline.com/RRH53888/petition.html

2:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home