Monday, March 16, 2009

games again.

So Resident Evil 5 is out.

The series is probably one of my favourites and has been since I played the very first game. When the 4th was released, the feel of the entire series changed for the better. I Still consider it one of the best games ever.

5 is mostly more of the same (which is good) but also has certain changes that just...don't feel right. First and foremost there are no longer any save rooms (type writers) and no merchant to sell you weapons.

You may argue that it isn't a huge deal, but ever since the first game, finding a save room (and hearing the calming music) was part of what made the game so awesome. You're walking around, not knowing what the fuck is going to jump out and scare you, and when you finally find a room, it's like you can finally breathe.

Same deal with the Merchant from RE4. Not only was he awesome and creepy, but everytime you saw him from a distance you just KNEW you were safe and that it was time to stock up and kick some ass.

Take out those two seemingly minor things and the game feels vastly different, in my mind. No, not in the way it is played, but the way it feels. 4 also did atmosphere and creepiness much, much better.

I haven't beat it yet and it's not like I dislike the game, but I can't help but feel it's stepping too much into the straight up action game territory.

I swear to god if the next game plays like Gears of War, I will be upset! Sadly, I can see it happening.

Also your AI partner goes from being the dumbest bitch ever to being a real help, which overall makes for a frustrating experience, and again, just takes away some of the tension.

I don't hate this addition though, in fact I understand it and it makes for an interesting dynamic and adds some cool gameplay ideas, so it is actually not a huge problem.

co-op with another person would be fun I guess, but I'm more of a single player guy, especially when it comes to a game like this.

Totally worth buying if you are a fan, and most of what I'm complaining about is probably nitpicking, but I don't care. I'm allowed.

4 is simply just a better game, so far.

In other news, if you own a Wii go buy Madworld. Like right now.

that is some awesome, bloody, offensive oldschool beat 'em up action right here:



Seriously, Dude has a chainsaw on his arm and you get to kill people in the most insanely violent ways ever thought of.

again, I'm not finished it, but am loving it thus far.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

OOOOOOOOH!!! I remember Madworld now! You had me watch the preview thing for it awhile back.

I'm glad it's as awesome as you hoped it would be.

4:17 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Like you Resident Evil is one of those games same with Tombraider that i have to play.

RE4 was a definitely a turning point for the series, i just hope they stay true to its roots and sway to much away. The idea of fast zombies seems to take a lot of the scare factor away for me.

RE2 was the game that got me into it.

Madworld does look good.

ps. you should post this on Nintopia under impressions.

8:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home