Saturday, December 27, 2008

Post Christmas.

So.

As usual seeing the extended family wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I ate a lot and got some games and junk, so it's all good.

It never really did feel like Christmas. I don't know that I'll get the same feeling I did when I was a kid, but that is to be expected.

Honestly, I enjoyed the bits in between all the getting together shit. Just sitting and relaxing at home felt nice and I am glad for the break from work.

I got Gears of war 2 which is a lot better so far than the first. Quite enjoyable.

I also got Mirror's Edge and it is stealing pretty much all of my time at the moment. Geoff, we can add another game to the small list of current EA games that are awesome because this game is great.



I get the feeling it is a "love it or hate it" affair but anybody looking for something fresh needs to play it. Free running/parkour or whatever you want to call it isn't exactly brand new in games, but bringing it into a first person perspective and letting it be the main focus certainly is.

I'll spare the story details but needless to say the game is almost entirely about running and jumping. There is combat. With and without guns, but so far I've chosen to run and mostly just disarm enemies because the combat really isn't a standout feature. (that, and I just enjoy not shooting people for some reason)

The game is at its best when you are simply flowing from area to area, roof top to roof top without stopping. It's quite incredible and so natural feeling when that part of it gets nailed.

It is also probably the only game ever that has been able to scare me without any real horror. Jumping across a 100 foot drop just does that to me, I guess.

Sometimes it's frustrating (due to enemies and guns) and there is some trial and error involved, but it's still worth looking into.

Colour me very impressed. Certainly a welcome break from WoW, which has become a bit dull as of late.

And that has been my un-planned game review for today.

Back to Christmas...I hope everybody had a good one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

yeah, It looks cool but what exactly do you do, just run around and jump from buildings to buildings, or is there a story to it.

5:45 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

That does look neat. But watching that video looks like you can't even fall....can you?
PS give me your xbox and game so I can try it.

5:46 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Oh, you can fall, believe me.

Also the basic story is:

"The game is set in a society where communication is heavily monitored by a totalitarian regime, and so a network of runners, including the main character, Faith, are used to transmit messages while evading government surveillance"

so it's a FUCK THE MAN game.

11:46 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Which only adds to the irony, because it's published by EA.

12:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home