Thursday, February 14, 2008

movie review number 1012... or: another post you don't care about.

Yesterday I finally watched The King Of Kong.

If you'd have asked me if I thought a documentary about guys setting high scores in Donkey Kong would be entertaining I might have told you "yes, to a degree" but the movie far exceeded my expectations. So much so that I really think people who don't know anything about games or Donkey Kong will still enjoy it for the story it tells.

It's about Billy Mitchell the proclaimed Best gamer alive and a challenger "nobody" Steve Wiebe who tries to take his bitch ass down and set a new world record. Nerdy? sure. A little silly? perhaps... but fucking entertaining? fo sho.

It's strange that such a film could touch upon all emotions like it did. There are a few guys in the movie I literally wanted to punch to death for being such douche bags and there are times of tension and excitement (seriously, over a game of Donkey Kong, I know...) but it really ends up being a story about the underdog trying to take down this Empire and become the best in the world and how he gets screwed over along the way.

I want to buy a DK machine off of ebay now so I can cram a massive high score down Billy Mitchell's throat.

But then I remember how fucking hard and frustrating that game is, so maybe not.

8 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

I had Donkey Cong Land for Gameboy. It was fun for about twenty minutes, before I realized that in order to save the game, you have to collect fucking letters.

Which are hidden.

IN HELL.

Oh. As well. For the classic Donkey Cong, my brother had that. Only played it a couple of times though. It was pretty fucking epic though.

1:23 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I also just nubbed out and realized Kong is spelled with a K.

I fail.

1:25 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

haha i bought the gameboy version of it when i went camping and just about chucked my SP in the lake, how could something so simple be so hard literally!

12:03 a.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

fo sho...boy I hate that phrase.

haha Geoff, when I read the first one I wondered if that was another game.

12:14 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

yeah, it has been years since I played it actually, but I can remember getting fucked by it so quickly. If you beat the first level and got to the elevator part you were pretty much fucked there.

But you should see the video of these guys play and how fucking insane they are.

The one guy actually draws diagrams to figure out where the springs bounce and what split second you can actually make it past them, it's crazy.

6:20 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

hahah mapping out the game of donkey kong.

10:53 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Man, that's awesome! I would totally do that! (Map out the game.) I kinda do that in my head as it is. You just get to this point where you've been fucked over so many times by it you start to figure it out.

And when you do it's like YEAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Anyway. You know exactly what I mean, I know it.

SO.

hehe..Cong.

11:32 p.m.  
Blogger ryan said...

update, bitch

9:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home