Sunday, February 03, 2008

84

this morning I was doing my usual checking of websites that matter and I came across Matt Good's latest entry and was more or less a little dumbfounded at how much I relate to it.

No, I'm not a musician. But the general feel of it... Really, if I didn't have to worry about working, one day would melt into another and It would be very hard for me to tell them apart.

It's not that I don't like going out with friends every now and then, because I do. I also love seeing films in the theater, sometimes that's the only reason I can see to go out.

To be entertained and lost in something for two hours is good enough for me. I'm sure that is when I feel most content.

At home, it's sleep, maybe some games, a movie, sleep, write and so on.

I guess it can almost sound depressing and sometimes I wonder if what I'm missing out there is something important.

I often get reminded that it really isn't, though. I wonder why trips to Best Buy and other stores often feel like chores. I think it is indeed the people. People in general make me uncomfortable.

I've never been a social person. I couldn't imagine standing or sitting around at a party. Well, I can imagine it. I'd be off in some corner smiling politely when I felt the need and checking my watch every 40 seconds. That reminds me of every wedding reception I've ever been to. It's supposed to be fun and laid back and a party, but it isn't. It's awkward and boring and completely foreign.

And the bit about small talk? jesus. That doesn't even exist to me and other people trying it out on me is often just as useless. Not that it makes me mad or anything. I just sometimes literally don't know how to respond or even see the point in doing so.

People sometimes ask what I did all day, or on my time off and the answer is almost always "nothing" because nothing is what I am most comfortable with. Nothing is everything to me and probably always will be.

I don't write off human interaction all together. I know it can be important and in my own way I try my best to keep in touch and be a friendly guy.

Strangely enough, I don't know that I'd consider myself "socially awkward" I actually believe I can read people pretty well. I know what I can and cannot get away with saying to certain people and I'm usually careful not to say too much (because this annoys me about other people).

I don't know what it is, kids. It's just me.

That's my pointless post of the month.

(that is a lie, there will surely be more)

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Hmmm....I agree with the Best Buy thing....I hate going to stores because I hate the other people shopping there. There's always someone cutting you off or bumping into you because they're too busy on their cell to look where they're going. You're not missing a lot of important things....you go to work and you go out to see your friends. You're not going to parties but parties are overrated and usually the people having the best time are the ones who are wasted which I know doesn't interest you. Makes you wonder if they get drunk to MAKE the party fun :S

7:22 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

meh, missing out? I stayed away from the whole getting canned every week scene and thinking i was cool because i blew my whole paycheque on alcohol. I mean i still drink but not to get drunk most of the time.

My take on parties is generally they are a waste of time, unless your going there for someone or know most of the people that are attending. That way you can atleast feel comfortable otherwise that whole scene is kind of a waste.

I dont think your missing out, just aslong as you still hangout with your friends and enjoy life. If not maybe a change of scenery would be nice.

Stores are always like that, filled with the people that cant seem to grasp the concept of how to shop with out annoying others, It cant be that hard i do it all the time.

ps. I think we are looking for an apprentice welder, you should come by and apply id teach you the ways of the jedi, apprentice.

8:26 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

"These strange creatures, measuring out their lives in petty rotations and revolutions. It's time, to them... and so they say. They measure everything by the passage of it. We know better. Your time to us is merely the passage of your planet from one position to the next. We see nothing of the importance you put on it, and we believe that all good actions are executed, not on time, but without time."
-Ark
The Old Earth Pact


Strange, how I can be writing a story about the logical end of humankind, and just such a topic should come up.

I agree and differ somewhat. To me, it's almost all small talk. So many people blather on about nothing at all. Sure, I'll partake. But at the same time, silence can say about as much, and takes about half the effort.

I understand Matt's position on job-speak as well. When I was still with the paper, I couldn't go out without getting the 100-question drill. Nobody needs that.

Nobody needs a lot of the shit in the world right now anyway, but I think you knew that. I'd rather sit in bed and sleep all day instead of writing pages and pages of political rhetoric. This isn't laziness. This is just acceptance of the world and my place in it.

11:40 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I like that you're a quiet guy who doesn't see the point in excessive social interaction and exposure.

Home is good, man.

And bed is the best. Which is where I am going right now...


(I first wrote a huge amount of babble in agreement, but it seemed TOO verbose, so I deleted it.)

1:35 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

update this hole!!

11:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home