Saturday, December 29, 2007

nothing important.

I've decided game reviewers these days are bitches.

I finished Kane and Lynch: Dead men yesterday and came away pretty impressed. It's not a perfect game, but it's incredibly compelling and has two of the most flawed/conflicted and badass main characters of any game.

It's all so movie like. One minute you're robbing a bank and shooting at cops as you run down the street to your van. The next you're repelling down a skyscraper to assassinate a dude in order to get your briefcase back.

The robbery and car chase scenes remind me a great deal of the movie "heat" which, needless to say is awesome.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that the game got really mixed reviews, some that were truly horrible, and yet I played through the game and enjoyed it a great deal. There were a few annoying parts, but nothing that made me want to stop playing, so I really don't get what the deal is here.

The story and characters were awesome (truly the reason I kept playing) but the gameplay was solid as well.

I know reviews are really just opinions, but still, it's annoying to see a game like this get so beat up, which forces most people to simply not even try it.

Or maybe it really does suck balls and I'm the crazy one.

Either way. OVER AND OUT.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I know reviews are really just opinions, but still, it's annoying to see a game like this get so beat up, which forces most people to simply not even try it.

Or maybe it really does suck balls and I'm the crazy one.


I feel that way about movie reviews. When I was reading them for that movie I told you about a few days ago (Francis Coppola's) I was just..I don't know. Appalled by some of them, even though I haven't seen the film yet. Appalled that people had the gall to declare it is a filmmakers DUTY to make a film accessible to "the masses". There's a lot more swimming around in my head about this, but I really feel to blah to get into it. But anyway, I get what you're saying.

2:11 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

And we'll pretend there's an extra 'o' on that "to."

2:14 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

You know someone got canned for giving this game a bad review, right?

As in, thrust from his job unto the street - fired, kaput, etc.

I think reviews are just opinions as well. But opinions that are shaped and molded by advertising dollars. To give a game a bad review takes more balls than to rave about it.

I don't read reviews for a reason. If I wanted to read the product of a corporate mouthpiece, I'd just read the ads. So far, it's been fairly easy to pick which games I'd be interested in based on what's been offered via webs, or by word of mouth. The market insight provided by reviews is nearly useless to me as a person, and if a reviewer called a sack of shit solid gold, I couldn't possibly care less.

Anyway. We all game, and that's all that matters. End rant.

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

yeah, that fat guy from Gamespot, who, as far as I can tell was a douche sack, so I really don't care.

What is funny is that it was Gamespot that fired him after Eidos pulled their advertising deal or whatever (something they are entitled to do)

so the "fans" of this guy who are taking it out on the developers and trying to "boycott" the game are fucking idiots.

I think it's bullshit to get canned for writing what is essentially an opinion, but really all the fuss it stirred up in regards to the actual GAME is bullshit.

They should be pissed at gamespot for not standing behind one of their writers and being chicken shits, not the fucking developers.

I don't, and never have read reviews in order to form my opinion. Chances are if a game grabs my attention I'll buy it regardless. I'm just saying there are plenty of people who see a game rated a "6/10" and avoid it like the fucking plague. Those people are idiots.

Reviews can provide information, but the number at the end of it really doesn't mean jack shit.

If it did, then I'd have to consider Bioshock an amazing game...but I really don't since it disappointed me a great deal.

In the end I'll trust a review from a friend or some random dude on the internet more than one coming from a large website or magazine.

End Rant.

6:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home