Monday, July 09, 2007

Spaceship broken- parts needed.

Well this morning after work I had a pretty interesting drive home.

Nothing really happened...it was just one of those mornings where everything seems different and strange, like I'd stepped off a space shuttle and was taking my first steps on some distant planet. The first thing I saw after the door closed behind me was this:




So we've all seen rainbows I'm sure, but it's been sometime since I actually stopped to enjoy looking at one. Let alone one at 5:30 in the morning after a nice, cool rain storm. I snapped a crappy picture and was on my way.

The strange thing is, after getting in my car, finding a cd to pop in and backing out, the thing had pretty much faded completely.

Turning the corner I was met with another strange sight:



Now, believe me. A crappy, hastily taken phone camera picture from a moving vehicle does not do this justice.

The clouds were thick throughout almost the entire sky save for just above the horizon which looked as if it was on fire from some distant nuclear explosion. The sun itself was enough to almost blind me as it peeked above the buildings and hills.

Again, after I purchased my fuel and headed back the way I had come the clouds looked as if they'd covered up most of it. I was hoping to stop somewhere to get a real photo, but no dice...It just wasn't the same. And then it started POURING like a mother fucker.

The drive home remained quite surreal feeling for whatever reason.

so from about 5:30 AM to 6 I was pretty much in a trance, wondering where the hell I was at and what exactly it was that made everything feel so "off".

Thinking about it now, it just makes me realize how suddenly beautiful the world can become. It sounds dumb and silly, I know, but sometimes being there at the right moment and taking in something incredibly simple can change the rest of your day for the better.

I guess I just wish it happened more often. I'm also glad it doesn't. We take far too much for granted as it is.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

That's awesome. And you're right, it seems nowadays everything is taken for granted.... :(

11:34 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Crappy photo or not, I can totally tell how beautiful that must've been, the second one.

There are moments out here where I look outside the windows upstairs and am just in awe of how incredible and almost unreal everything looks. And though you keep making fun of me for it, I'm telling you, the scenery around the lake here is incredibly beautiful. You can completely lose yourself in it all. I can imagine how intensified that feeling would be with an appropriate soundtrack.

I've always loved it when you come home and email me about this kind of thing, so don't feel you sound dumb or silly, because you really don't.

2:14 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Total photographer moment man.

I'm in an office all day, and it makes me cry that I can't be outside for moments like those anymore.

4:11 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

"Total photographer moment man"

haha i was thinking the exact same thing, when i used to take tons of pics, it was awesome when something like that catches your eye.

Those pics are awesome, wish i saw it.

10:19 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

fix that spaceship and update!!!!

10:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home