Wednesday, April 11, 2007

this will be boring.

Well it's past my bedtime and I can hardly keep my eyes open, but somehow I'm in the mood for a rant/nerd talk that none of you will find interesting.

I've been reading and seeing these news stories about how poorly Grindhouse did at the box office. How in the hell did some god awful crap like "are we done yet?" make more money than this masterpiece?

There are plenty of theories ranging from the fact that it was just bad timing (easter weekend) to...maybe three+ hours is just too long for most people and perhaps the most logical, that this type of genre isn't for everybody, along with the fact that it's rated R/18A.

Still, a movie is a movie. I think it helps and adds to the experience if you've see some of the films Planet Terror and Death Proof are referencing. It's not that there is a whole lot to "get" it's just that there's so much more to these movies than people think. It's called Grindhouse for a reason. These films are more or less larger budget remakes of all the horror/exploitation films from the 70's.

Also all the hate for Death Proof is pissing me off. Yes, I would agree that Quentin Tarantino needs to put more faith in editors, because some of the dialogue between the women is a little too long winded and drawn out. But it is intentional. It is supposed to be mellow and normal before the movie slams into high gear, and this is a Tarantino movie, the guy gets off on writing lines and lines of dialogue.

So yes, I could have done without most of the girly talk between all the women. But But holy fucking Hell that movie has the best car action scenes in ages, and Kurt Russell is and always will be the fuckin' man.

I dunno. Given the choice between this or a movie starring Ice Cube seems like an easy choice to me. What the hell is wrong with people?

Well I'm going to bed.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I was also shocked at the ice cube movie doing better at teh box office....disbelief really. Grindhouse was awesome and it did not seem like 3+ hours, this coming from someone who has a tendancy to fall asleep at movies! People are just dumb, that's all. YOU didn't like the girly talk? shocking ;)

9:48 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I haven't been able to get out to see a movie, nor does it look like I will be able to. This is a mandate. See as many movies as possible, and then write about them so that I may at least pretend I've seen the outside world once in a while.

12:45 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

That was like my first visit to the outside world in weeks. It was fun but I have to admit, I can't stay out there for long.

And anyway, I always feel like a bit of a tool for going on about movies in a blog that hardly anybody reads and fewer people actually give a damn about.

Actually, I think I just feel like a tool. Period.

1:47 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Hey, it's your blog man.

Unless you've taken up Nickleback in your absence, you are not a tool.

2:03 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You...are anything BUT a tool, babe.

I HATE MOVIES LIKE THAT ICE CUBE ONE. THAT PEOPLE GIVE THESE IDIOTS SHIT LOADS OF MONEY TO MAKE THEM MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE.

And that is how I feel about that.

I want to see Grindhouse. I bet I'd have no issues with the extensive dialogue. He gets off on writing it, I get off on listening to it.

Movies are one of your things, and the people who read this DO care, I think. I know I do.

4:47 p.m.  
Blogger Tracy said...

If we didn't care then we wouldn't read.....so there :P

6:40 p.m.  
Blogger Suzanne said...

These blogs are like my morning paper, write on my friend......maybe I should get out more.

1:48 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

Movies are good, keep going on!!!!! its a good read, and dont stop blogging or ill beat ya!

6:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home