Friday, April 13, 2007

So it goes.

Kurt Vonnegut died on Wednesday and I've been meaning to say something along the lines of this:

Go to your local library/book store/pawn shop and find a copy of Slaughterhouse-five. Read it and love it because it is one of the best things ever written.

When you're done, follow up with Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of champions.

How fucking depressing. He was, I think, quite easily my favourite author. To be able to mix comedy, sci-fi, drama all the while keeping a depressing tone is incredible.

Reading about his experiences, being held in a POW camp during the fire bombing of Dresden and how he eventually turned that into a book featuring, of all things, Time travelling aliens boggles my mind.

I don't read THAT much, but I've not come across anybody who does it better in all my years.

Shit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I'm going to have to find that book now....of course I'm the slowest reader in the world (Ryan I still have your book you leant me in December and no I"m not done yet) but how can I ignore such a recommendation :)

11:24 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

never read him, i remember you going on about that book a while back. Lend it to me, or else!!! haha

I havent read anything since hannibal rising. Just cant get into books.

that sucks when people like that die, especially ones you respect.

5:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home