Wednesday, February 15, 2006

2/15

I just watched a real cool movie called Mirrormask.

I was browsing imdb (as I do every Tuesday) looking at new DVD releases when I realized it was all shit except this movie jumped out at me for some reason. I did some reading and found out it was written by Neil Gaiman. Now, I've only read one of his books, but it was fucking great, and so I had to see what sort of movie might come of something he wrote.

So I went out and bought it and just finished watching it today.

It's about a girl who enters a strange world through her dreams after finding out her mother is sick. She soon finds out that she has to save this new world by finding the mirrormask and evading the dark queen.

Sounds almost like a Disney movie, right?

However, the best way to describe this movie would be Alice in wonderland meets the Wizard of Oz...On acid. It's full of incredible special effects and some of the strangest characters and scenes I've ever witnessed, all with a decidedly darker tone. Seriously.

It's the kind of film that older kids with active imaginations would ADORE, but believe me, if you're an adult with any kind of love for all things weird and imaginative, you will enjoy this movie.

I love being able to suspend my belief for an hour and fourty minutes to take part in a fantasy world like the one shown in this film. It's awesome.

definitely, really worth checking out if you want something wildly original and entertaining.

3 Comments:

Blogger D. said...

No, but the 15 year old girl is quite attractive!

I'm allowed to say that because she's actually 21!

9:58 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

so what your saying its a Tim Burton Knock off that meets chronicles of Narnia with a weak story line and no T&A, that just wont do. haha Kidding buddy whoa!

Its sounds pretty cool, I'm a pretty big fan of the "adult fairytale" as wimpy as it sounds those make some of the best movies out there.

6:06 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Actually it does remind a lot of something Tim Burton might do, I consider that a good thing, though.

11:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home