Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The ROID.



Trevor's post inspired me to want to write a bit about the strangeness that is Metroid: Other M.

Let me just say, I think the Metroid series is probably my most loved Nintendo games. Yes, more than Zelda. There's something about them that appeals to me greatly.

I finished it last night and overall, I had a seriously great time.

What I wanted to talk about is how I absolutely cannot understand the negativity toward this game. It's fine to have little nitpicking type issues with plot and design choices and such, but to claim the game "KILLED THE METROID SERIES" is beyond fucking absurd.

This game is a huge step in the direction I want to see ALL Nintendo franchises go. Guess what, fanboys? I WANT voice acting and cutcenes in my games. The other two "big" systems have games with this kind of production values and it's about damn time Nintendo stepped up and tried it out.

Those opinions hold true REGARDLESS of how I feel about Other M's story and voice acting. All I'm saying is that it's a step to where Nintendo should be.

Valid complaints are the controls. Using only the Wii remote does feel limiting at first, but within 10 minutes I had adapted and was LOVING the minimalistic approach. I get how some people might not, though.

I think the weakest part of the game is indeed the writing and plot elements, particularly the end where all this shit is added on in an attempt to be a "DRAMATIC REVEAL" type segment. It's not needed, and in fact, the bit you play after the credits roll, actually makes up for this shit. So make sure you do that.

That's not to say it's all bad. I don't mind emotional Samus. I don't mind Galactic Federation soldiers showing up. I don't mind the flashbacks. That's all well and good and often, quite Welcome.

Samus is an awesome character, and in my mind it's best to view this game as a sort of different take on her. If you don't like her in this game, it's not a massive character assassination. It's just different. Get over it.

Change is good. One of the few reviews I've agreed with used the word "brave" to describe this game. So true. Change is good.

If I had to pick between the Prime games and Other M I'd say the Prime games are better. They are simply masterful and are pretty damn hard to beat.

That said, I'm all for the next game in the series to play and feel and look like Other M. It's awesome being able to run around in third person and feel the speed of Samus in her suit. That's how she should be. Fast and agile. And jumping onto a dudes head and blasting him point blank in the head? BAD. ASS.

Expand and improve upon that, and develop a stronger plot (let me write it) and I think there would be even less to complain about.

But I'm sure the fanboys would latch on to whatever they can.

Summary: Nintendo fans fear change; are idiots. This game is good.

10 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

I dunno about the "better then zelda" but i can definitely say, the first person aspect was getting old, definitely a refreshing take on the series.

Also anyone who bad mouths this game deserves to pummeled.

7:57 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I enjoyed this. Two thumbs up.


PS Way for the verification word to be straight from work. Replat.

11:21 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I thought Other M was amazing at every moment - aside from first-person. When it came to that shit, I was ready to rage.

I don't care what they say about the Wiimote, that shit just isn't cut out for aiming in a game.

...I'm honestly curious where they're going to take the story now though. They've pretty much filled in all the prequel material they can. Now they have to go see where the story goes after Metroid Fusion.

Which means new, techno-organic suits, I hope.

12:20 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

The only (very minor) frustrations I had with the first person bits were locking onto shit I didn't want to. That's not the wii remote's fault though.

Also, I'd like to take the time to ask exactly what about aiming with the wii remote you feel doesn't work?

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm serious.

I always thought that people who said this either couldn't get over the learning curve or just hated the change, OR, were quite simply doing it wrong (sensor bar not being in the right place/sitting too close to the TV/whatever)

To me the wii remote and nunchuck combo is right up there with a mouse and keyboard for how accurate and awesome it feels when using it in a first person shooter. No joke.

I first thought that when Prime 3 came out. those guys fucking nailed the controls.

Then I played Red Steel 2 and it felt even better and more tight and I am completely sold on it.

I've very seriously never had any issues at all, and find it hard to go back to playing games with the dual stick setup on the 360 and such. It's slow and cumbersome.

Add in "light gun" type games and it becomes even more obvious that the Wii remote is indeed awesome for aiming.

I guess a lot of it boils down to developers being smart and getting the most out of it. Using proper dead zones and bounding boxes and the like, but it works wonderfully for me, and always has.

Also, I hope Retro Studios gets to make another Metroid game. Them = Other M's style of play = perfect Metroid game. I'm sure of it.

6:22 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I think Retro had its hay day with Prime let other budding developers show off there stuff. Otherwise Retro could turn into the next Rare and gain a monopoly over Nintendo Franchises.

The wii remote is deadly, unless your playing with it on a 13inch T.V. i remember going through Twilight princess when i lived with my parents on my 13 inch and i cursed that remote, you move it one inch and its off the T.V.

Geoff: yeah the first person stuff was a bit cumbersome. The only thing that would of made that better was being able to shoot missiles outside of First person mode.

6:55 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Retro is like the best thing Nintendo has going for them.

But they moved on to that Donkey Country game, so at least that's guaranteed to be awesome.

Being able to shoot missles in third person is something I wanted too, but then I started thinking that it's totally a design choice and it'd make it so there's hardly any reason to even use the aiming mode.

That, and there aren't enough damn buttons when only using the Wii remote.

That's actually impressive though. That they built a game with battles that felt so damn good using so few buttons. It was engaging till the end.

7:52 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

My big issue with the wiimote is manyfold. From a personal standpoint, I've got a pretty substantial hand-tremor and it gets even worse when I start getting upset or frustrated.

This coupled with the controller's penchant for stopping tracking at the worst possible moments makes my life hell when I'm trying to line up a shot.

Third, the inertial trackers they use in the controller are almost completely arbitrary when they're being activated. I can recall playing Super Smash Bros. with the wiimote, and being told to "lift" the controller when I wanted to jump. Out of five times, the game registered only one proper jump command, and that's when I nearly knocked myself in the face with the controller.

Basically, I've never had an experience with the Wii that's made me believe I'm actually controlling the game. It's always been like arcane wizardry, gestures and commands that may, or may not work depending on the mood of my fey masters.

In short, it's always felt like the controller is getting between me and the game, rather than putting me in the game.

3:31 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Shitty man.

That all reads like madness to me. I've really never had any issues like that.

including motion bits where other people tell me it either doesn't work or takes too much movement to do it correctly. I've always been able to get away with the slightest of hand gestures. Seriously.

Weird shit.

5:43 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Geoff: maybe try a different controller. I've never had any issues like that either.

back to Metroid, the one part in the control that bugged me was that fraction of an angle you move the controller from action to charging missiles. I always seem to hold the controller on that angle during game play and Samus stops everything and i get my ass handed to me.

7:51 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It's always been like arcane wizardry, gestures and commands that may, or may not work depending on the mood of my fey masters.

hahahaaa...

My troubles stem from pure ineptitude.

8:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home