Saturday, May 30, 2009

WELLLLLLLLLLLL

Follow up story to Motorcycle debacle 09:

I rode in to Riverside on Wednesday, talked to one of the service guys, who, long story short told me that there is no way a battery is going to leak unless it was left in my bike all winter and froze OR I filled it myself.

I told him that there is pretty much NO way either of those things happened, and the way he looked at me, I just KNEW he thought I was a liar.

Then he told me there isn't much they can do, unless the bike only had like 30 KM on it, then they could call it a manufacturers defect.

Today I had to bring it in for unrelated service (the big first 1000 KM one) and talked to the sales guy since he was there.

I basically just told him the whole thing leaves a real shitty taste in my mouth and that while I know it's not a $20,000 crotch rocket like most guys buy, it is still my first bike that I bought NEW and it sucks balls.

He's a legitimately cool and nice guy and understood all of it and shit.

Deep down even when it first happened, I knew they weren't going to be able to do a damn thing. I do understand where they are coming from, in that they have no idea what really happened and blah blah blah.

So we went out to look at it and out of curiosity I asked how much a new stock pipe is worth and he told me it would be best and cheaper to go with an aftermarket one and asked if I'd take a deal on a new aftermarket pipe, and I said probably, since it is better than nothing.

Then he called me on the way home and told me he could give me the pipe, a jet kit and a new battery all installed for $600, which is money I never wanted to spend, obviously, but IS pretty decent deal of around $300 off, plus free install. Add to that the fact that I have been looking at and considering the very same pipe, and it isn't too bad.

So I said do it up.

I realize I could leave the pipe and all that shit, since it still runs fine. but it just bothers me and I want it fixed for myself AND for when I decide to sell it. If that doesn't make sense then...whatever.

my mom thinks I am crazy and that I should have argued even more and blah blah blah, but I DID and it isn't worth swearing and yelling at the guy, because it is just a bit of shitty luck if you ask me.

I'm just glad I have money in the motorcycle fund to cover it.

Oh and he guaranteed me a sweet deal on the next bike I buy. We'll see about that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

That's a pretty solid deal man.

Though it sucks that the mechanic is so up in his duff that he thinks you're lying.

Then again, most shop-monkeys think they know everything, so it MUST be your fault. There can be no other explanation for the failure of the bike's infallible engineering.

12:49 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I still don't understand why the battery manufacturer wouldn't replace the battery...

1:15 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Warranty is dumb, its almost like you have it but you hope you never have to use it.

Mechanically you probably would of been good (warranty wise), but because it doesn't hinder engine performance your pretty much on your own.

I also see where the guy is coming from to.

I do welding for farmers, and on the odd occasion it might come back and they say it just broke again (ie i didn't weld it good enough, now warrant that weld).

I look at it and you can tell there full of shit and there lifting something that's about ten times heavier than whats it rated for hence why it broke. But our motto is keep the customer happy so he comes back, so it gets fixed, whether they are right or wrong.

Which is what every business should have.

Also if the acid hasn't completely eaten through your pipe, we might be able to buff that shit out. I do that a lot of that stuff when i have to do work on aluminum at work. It looks not to shabby when its done.

< end novel

1:27 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Well as Geoff said, it really is a decent deal, considering the rates they charge for labor.

and yeah, if the engine fucked up, they'd fix it under warranty certainly, but whatever.

Shit happens, and it often happens to Dan, oh well!

At least I get a cool, louder pipe at a decent price.

Ad I agree, it is just good business to keep customers happy. I wouldn't say I'm happy, but I'm not exactly pissed off.

1:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home