Friday, September 16, 2005

Revolution, indeed.

Nintendo finally showed off the controller for their next gen console:


My first response: "so I have to play games with a fucking remote control, now?"

But then I did my reading.

The thing is pretty awesome sounding. It detects motion (kinda like a computer mouse, only it also detects depth as well as tilt) pretty cool, and some of the ideas and developer comments are pretty amazing.

Think of using it in a first person shooter for instance. The thumb stick would be used to move, while the "remote" looking part would be used to look around/aim. Pretty incredible, and it's supposed to be nice and accurate/sensitive.

Also, the bottom part is used to plug in "expansions" the analog stick is just one of them. They could, ultimately expand the base controller to be ANYTHING, and that is also pretty damn exciting.

I think Nintendo has done it...Innovate even farther than we thought. I reserve my final judgment until I can hold the thing and play with it, but I think those with an open mind and imagination are going crazy right now.

I am.

I was gonna go into a lot of depth here, but I figure it would bore most people to death, so I'll save it for later when we are back in action.

5 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

Yeah, some people dismissed that hand-a-tronic on first glance, but I'm intrigued. It will look as funny as fuck when you see someone using it, but it is possible to turn it 90 degrees and use it like a classic Nintendo controller as well.

Just between us, a lass in my class thought it was some kind of sex toy. I have a feeling that the Revolution will catch on with the female gamer population.

Just a hunch.

4:32 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

The innovativeness of Nintendo reminds me a lot of the innovativeness of Apple.

In both design and function.

That controller sounds pretty awesome. And looks a lot more user friendly to me than the N64 and Game Cube controllers.

My only beef would be the thumb stick. Those things an I do not get along.

4:37 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

What about the thumbstick doesn't like you?

And I'm just waiting for Steve Jobs to come out of his obscura and quietly announce that he's actually the founding father of Nintendo, Pagani, and Leer as well.

11:50 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Just as I suck at steering a car I suck at maneuvering a thumbstick.

Watching me play Mario Kart would probably send you all into a frustrated rage.

12:30 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Not if it was double dash.

12:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home